9.3 UA

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All,

So long story short, i had been diagnosed with "gout" a couple years ago. I never got the typical gout pain on the big toe, but it seems to alway attack the back of my heel or side and top of my foot. Of recent times I went off Allopurinol 300mg because i was getting constant flares. I thought it was maybe a good time to see if i could control it via diet and lifestyle. It was at a 7.7 level. I didnt get any pain until two months I started to slowly get pain again so went back to doctors and i did another blood test and went up to 9.3. He wanted to start me back up from 100mg (been two weeks now) and now ive just increased back to 200mg (which ill be on for the next 2months). I'm still get painful joints around my foot. How long will this take to cease? And does titrating help with the decrease of flares? Anyone have similar experiences?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have been down similar pathway.

Ended up with no Allapurinol due to the side effects. Tried the diet approach but still had flares.

For the last 12 months With no flare ups I use a daily Celery extract capsule, with ASTAXANTHIN (strong anti-inflammatory action. I also use lemon juice in water 30 mins prior to meal.

Search around these and you will find a wealth of clinical and anecdotal evidence. My current blood test 0.36 mmol/L Uric Acid.

I also swim 500 metre 2x week. Important to have cardio/pulmonary exercise.

• Posted

Hey,

I also get it in the heel, Achilles and top of foot, and around the ankle.

It can be very stubborn.

Get yourself celery seed extract, or blend celery sticks with water, drink loads.

Drink loads of nettle tea all day.

Cherry active juice

Practice Box Breathing.

2 days and you’ll be good.

Good luck!

• Posted

If the allopurinol is not effective, there is a chance this is not gout, but "pseudo-gout" aka CPPD.  Search for it - and take it seriously.  It feels and acts a lot like gout but it is not directly caused by uric acid but by calcium pyrophosphate.  The bad news is there is no diet to prevent it and no specific drug to alleviate it.  I'm not even sure if there's a test that regular doctors can do to diagnose it - except that it's like gout but the gout treatments don't work.

I'm pretty sure I've had it a couple of times.

It may also be associated with high uric acid.  Have you cleaned up your diet, eliminated the purine foods?

Here's what the diagnostic differentiator is for me.  With regular gout the toe and foot can hurt right up to the 10 level, but I can still walk on it.  With pseudo-gout the pain is "only" around an 8 but it's in the bunch of joints at the top of the foot and I have to walk on crutches, you can't even begin to put weight on it without collapsing.  And I seems to afflict one joint, and then within an hour it moves to a different, nearby joint.  And when it's touched all the joints, then it finally clears!  I'm sure that's not really how it works, but it sure seems that way.

Wish I had better (or surer) news, but at least a likely diagnosis shines a little light on things.

• Posted

Allopurinol had the same effect on me and i have gout. I have never been able to walk when i have had a flare and cannot even let my quilt rest on it because its so painful and i am quite pain tolerant, so i dont know how you can say you can walk on a 10 pain. 
  • Posted

I think I found a good way to help prevent gout attacks.

You see! My gout attacks many joints throughout my body and are quite horrid.

Anyway. I noticed at the store berri 's are supper cheap. So I bought a big bag of blueberries. About 3 days later my gouty joint pains started subsiding. So I upped to 2 cups of blueberries a day. So to test my theory I bought a bucket of KFC. Ate 3 pieces for 3 meals in a row. Normally a gout flareup would kick my butt about 4am. But no attack set it n.

Eureka! I can eat meat 3 meals a day. Yippie Skippy. I hope this info will help you folks. These meds seem to be a joke.

The best med is Uloric. But it raises enzymes in the liver so the doctor took it away from me with no further discussion. And noting has worked well since. Except the blueberries.

• Posted

Try the celery seed, in capsules.  I'm not sure if berries are really an alterative but even if they are a celery seed capsule is quicker, cheaper, and lower calorie.

• Posted

HI, they say Allopurinol is the best tablet for gout but you here of so many side effects on here from this tablet. Not only did Allopurinol give me several flare ups, i also had constant pain in my joints whenever i took this tablet and was as unbearable as the gout, and when i stopped taking Allopurinol the joint pain would stop. I now take Adenuric which suits much better and is controlling the gout flares. Keep well hydrated and eat a good balanced diet, no cooking your food in fats or oils. I can eat meat and drink alcohol since doing this and i have not had a flare in over 12 months which is good for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.