9 cm ovarian cyst, doing laparotomy.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey smile I am 20 years old and I found out 3 months ago that I had an 9 cm ovarian cyst on my left ovary. My doctor told me to use birth control from march to now(june) to see if it goes away but without any success. My cyst is still there and hasn't changed at all. So now we are talking about doing surgery to remove it. My gynecologist told me that doing a laparotomy is better since there is no risk of the cyst rupturing so I guess I'll be doing that. This is my first surgery ever so Im kinda stressed because I still haven't discussed with him all the procedure and how is it going to be post-surgery... Can you please share your experiences with me? Thank you!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey there sweetie. I haven't had my surgery as yet but I just wanted you to know I entirely understand how upset you are feeling about this. It is really difficult. I expect the birth control at least has stopped the cyst from growing any further. Do you know when your appointment will be? Good luck with it all, let us know what happens x
    • Posted

Hey smile yeah since I started the pills there weren't any changes at all. I don't know yet about the appointment cause he told me to finish my last pills and after my period ends Im gonna go again to discuss everything. Thank you very much. Good luck to you as well. I hope it goes good and you recover fast. 
    • Posted

Thank you. I hope so too! I can't wait for it to be over with!  Let us know what they say when you go back x
  • Posted

Do you know what kind of cyst you have. I had a 23cm simple cyst (so it was just filled with fluid) and they removed it laparoscopically, which is much less for recovery. They just drained it inside and then removed it. Good luck with everything!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.