9 days in and confused

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, 

I started orlistat 9 days ago. My doctor agreed to prescribe me it after I gained a stone due to illness and currently too tired/drained to go to the gym and getting very run down by it. 

I weighted 86.3kg when started and a week later I was down to 83.6kg but now just a few days later I'm back up up 85kg. I know these may only seem small figures but I want to make sure I'm doing the best I can to make the tablets effective and feel a little lost with it so wondered if anyone could help.

I rarely eat junk food as scared of the side effects and don't want to cheat it. My normal diet would be porridge with dates or a banana and once a week a bagel with Nutella. 

Lunch time I would have a small portion of stew/soup/curry/noddles with extra veg, all homemade and low oil or a wrap.

Evening meal I would have a piece of  meat or fish and then lots of veg. In between I eat only fruit. I'm still doing light exercise and walk a fair bit but not weights or anything to hardcore at gym.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any advice, tips etc would be really appreciated. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Also forgot to add I do drink a lot of hot drinks but try have sweetner, 5 days a week I will have a free capacinno or latte made with semi skimmed milk from waitrose at about 150 cals.

Hot drinks are my weekness in winter and early drink fizzy pop 

• Posted

I've been on these 4 weeks now. I lost first week, gained second week, lost third week and stayed same fourth week. Second week I was ovulating so I think water retention caused weight gain. Just be patient, it doesn't work quickly for everyone. Stick with it. I've lost 9lbs so far. Was hoping to have lost more but its still a loss. 
    • Posted

Thank you for the advice, think I will stick to weekly weight ins rather than every day or other day. 

This may seem a silly question but when do you ovulate? At what point in your cycle. It's not something I've had to look into yet but this could maybe be the reason for my gain too. 

My friend really bigged up this tablet so maybe I've just expected a bit too much from it. 

Good luck with your orlistat journey x 

• Posted

Ovulation varies from woman to woman but it's generally around 14 days after your period. 
  • Posted

I wondering if it could be water retention. The first week we loose water and gain it back then it levels out after after our bodies adjust. I'm not 100% sure as it maybe different for everybody. 

Hope you continue to push on x

• Posted

Thank you, possibly I didn't think of that like I usually would with a diet. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.