9 days since parathryroidectomy uk - update

Posted , 5 users are following.

My surgery for removal of adenoma right side parathyroidwas carried out in Leeds on 11 August 2016.  I am making progress in post operative recovery.  Headache, bone pain and brain fog have disappeared.  I am tired after lunch and for rest of day but feel much better than prior to surgery.  That is really helpful.  My neck is sore swallowing hurts but is improving.  Talking too much does not help.  I now have to start an exercise programme to build bone as the hyperparathyrodism has caused spinal/arm/hip osteoporosis.  I wish I had been diagnosied earlier but I am determined to get my body back.

I am pleased since  post surgery I made my self get out of bed and off the sofa.  It was difficult to do so but I think the mobilisation did help.  Of course I have crawled back on to the sofa with a bbowl of ice cream during the afternoon.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane,

Glad you're doing well. I'm three weeks out and I am having similar results. Bone, joint and headaches are gone, mental fog is also going away and my mood is improving. I'm not 100%, but according to my doctor, I will be a new woman at the two month mark. I still get very tired in the afternoon, so I know I'm not 100% yet. It seems like my mood fluctuates a bit, but I'm told that's normal. I think you're right about making yourself get up and move. I was in bed 24/7 two months before my surgery and have lost muscle from being so sedentary. I did try to take a walk yesterday, but tripped and fell half way through the walk. I really think it was because I am so weak and I wasn't paying attention. I'm going to try again today as I don't want to give up. Glad we are both feeling better. The surgery is lifesaving and we will continue to improve as time goes on 💕

• Posted

HI

Good to hear from you.  I am so pleased you have been feeling some improvement post op.  One of the issues for me was the gradual or should I say serious impact on my health in the year prior to surgery.  I dropped out of my walking group but had been happy to walk 12 miles over the Yorkshire Dales before.  So I feel by the time surgery arrived my strength had almost completely  disappeared, just as you have described.  This is going to take quite a while to get back to walking in the Dales but I am looing forward to the smaller achievements ahead.

• Posted

So pleased you've had the op and you're now on the mend.

• Posted

Hi Mrs Mozart

Thank you for yourr kind words.  It is helpful.

• Posted

Glad to hear you are feeling better after surgery.  I actually don't feel ill but am scheduled for parathyroidectomy because of severe osteoporosis and raised hormone levels.  I am considering asking to see Mark Lansdown at Leeds as I live in West Yorkshire and wonder if he was your surgeon.

• Posted

Hi Patricia

Thank you for contacting.  I am sorry to hear that you too are a victim of hyperparathyrodism.  My consultant at St James was Miss Fraser.  I had considered going private and had identified an endocrinolgy surgeon based in Durham who operates at the Durham Nuffield.  I understand that Mr Lansdown is a very experienced endocrinology surgeon too.  I was very happy with my Leeds care in the end.

• Posted

Hi Jane,

Glad you were happy with your Leeds care.  I had considered going to Leeds for my Parathyroidectomy but on speaking to my surgeon Mr D Ali at Pinderfields Wakefield,I have more or less decided to stay with him. He has assured me he is very experienced in this field and trains others in the Yorkshire area.  Have you heard anything about his work or know of anyone else who has had their operation under his care?  Apparently his waiting list is long and he doesn't achieve the 18 week guideline wait. I have already waited 13 weeks .

• Posted

Go to Sallie Powell's web site on Facebook.  You'll get all the support and help you need on there.  I think she's also interested in finding out about the skill or otherwise of Mr Lownsdown.  You'll have to Google:

Hyperthyroidism uk Action4 change.

Good luck.

Alan

• Posted

I've had a lot of physical problems & surgeries that have left me unable to exercise much (and I do love to dance!). But I have found that consistent stretching or isometric exercises do build muscle. I was so surprised that just be doing the runner's stretch against a wall gave me larger calf muscles! Unexpected benefit from plantar fasciitis (sp?). It did take a long time - hopefully you will be up and about soon. Best wishes!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.