9 Week Roller coaster - Need Some Advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

I experienced my first panic attack three years ago and had really bad lingering generalized anxiety for months after.  I was prescribed Buspar and over time the anxiety went away.  Fast forward to about three months ago the generalized anxiety started to come back pretty bad, i believe it was because I was starting a new job.  I had probably the worst panic attack one night and since then the generalized anxiety has been constant along with the occasional panic attack.

I finally went to my GP and she prescribed generic Prozac.  The next week was absolute torture.  My anxiety went through the roof, I literally felt like i wanted to crawl out of my skin and had zero appetite.  I started seeing a psychologist and no matter what I tried the anxiety would not fade. I also had really bad ringing in my ears and upset stomach.  After doing some research I realize that the increased anxiety can be a side effect of starting an SSRI. 

After a week I went and saw a psychiatrist and she switched me to generic Lexapro 10 mg because she said it can be a less activating.  The first week to 10 days were still really bad with the anxiety but it slowly started to improve.  I had one week where things felt about 70% better, I actually had an appetite after losing 10 lbs in three weeks.  I talked with my psychiatrist about the little bit of anxiety that was still around and she said to increase the dosage to 15 mg.  I was hesitate to do this because I knew how bad my start up anxiety was and know that this can happen again when you increase the dose.  Low and behold, the anxiety got really bad again.  I had no appetite and lost another 6 lbs in 9 days.  After two weeks on 15 mg I went and saw my psychiatrist and she switched me to Sertraline 50 mg.

I could start to feel an improvement within the first three days and for about 5 days things were starting to get better, the anxiety was lower and I actually had an appetite.  But three days ago the anxiety came back and I havent been able to eat anything in three days with pretty much constant generalized anxiety.  My doctor gave me klonopin for the anxiety but I am try to limit the use of it as much as possible due to its addictive nature.  My doctor has mentioned increasing to 75 or even 100 mg but I know what that caused the last time I increased with the increased anxiety.

So after 61 days on three SSRIs we are still trying to figure this out.  Has anyone had any experience increasing Sertraline and how long the side effects lasted?  Do you think i should give 50 mg more time or go ahead and increase the dosage.  Also has anyone just decided that maybe antidepressants just might not work for them?  I feel like its been so long, why havent things got better?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Gosh, it's a complicated one .... 

My only experience is with Sertraline 50mg. When I first started in this 12+ weeks ago I was told by my GP that it's maximum effect takes up to 12 weeks, but some see an improvement sooner, generally the 6-8week mark. 

As you have been on 3 different SSRI's in a relatively short time, I would think the Sert is still not quite reached its optimum level? 

You could ask a qualified Pharmacist, they are a very knowledgeable bunch, and may be able to give you more concrete information/advice. A quick chat might be helpful in the first instance ... 

Sorry I cannot be of any real help, hoping for you x 

• Posted

Hi Kyle , sorry you are having such a hard time. I started on 50 and then 75 for a week but my doctor wanted me on 100 , so I am on 100. I had slight anxiety kicking up with the increase but not at all like when i first started this med. Everyone is different and what works for one might not work for others as to the increase. With all the other meds you have been taking before sertraline, I would think that your system is just trying to adjust. I hope this helped some. Hang in there and like New York said talk to doc or pharmacist to relieve your mind.😎

• Posted

Thank you for your input.  Sometimes I wonder if my doctor has me moving around my dosage too much.  Part of me kind of wants to just jump to 100 mg and just deal with the side effects for one to two weeks but then ill be there. 
    • Posted

The first three days were a little rough the I had about five days where things were improving.  But the past four days have been pretty bad.  So that is why I increased to 75 mg as that is what the doctor said to do if things don't improve by today. 

• Posted

Been on it a total of 13 days including today.  But been on ADs for about 9 weeks to this point. 
    • Posted

When I first started on this med the first week was fine. I thought wow what side effects. But when week 2 came it was like I was going backwards. Everything seemed to be so intense, anxiety, headache, poor sleep, dizziness just to name a few. When week 7 came it was like a switch came on. Not to say i was back to myself again, but there was an improvement. I would think you might be different because of being on different meds. Give it time, listen to your doctor. You will come through this just fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.