9 weeks after ankle surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

I broke the 3 bones in my ankle. Have plate and screws to fix it 9 weeks ago. i am in a walking boot and I'm supposed start weight bearing as pain permits. What I'm worried about is this new pain and numbness when I bend my toes. Also my injured foot is red and still swollen. I also have that burning feeling on the inside ankle which is worse at night. Anyone else have this issue? I always worry about blood clots but not sure of the symptoms.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

hi hun im 3 months out from the same surgery snd a had a severe dislocation too.

you really feel so many different things but it’s just kind of the normal healing process .

again I’m three months out and I still have zaps and twitches and twitches on both sides of my ankle

my feet & my toes I still have numbness all the way to my third toe it’s getting better but it takes time and not everyone heals at the same rate .

I never had foot problems before and now I have plantar fasciitis from the surgery from being in a cast for so long.

physical Therapy is a different type of pain I feel that it hurts more now in a different way in my ankle and my foot and my leg swell

if you are in severe pain I would recommend calling your surgeon tommorow . but everything sounds normal .

my foot was red & purple for 2 1/2 months , its normal now .

this board is amazing it really helped me with questions during my recovery.

God Bless You with an amazing recovery 

• Edited

Thanks Marie, it sure makes me feel better knowing someone else has gone through the same thing. I will try not to worry so much. I am sorry you have developed a another problem you didn't need just from having surgery. I hope you recover soon. I agree about this board. It gives people peace of mind just knowing they are not alone. Take care 😊

• Posted

you can go have it checked for blood clot your ortho surgeon could do an order for that quickly. if you even suspect that you can have it checked immediately. dont have that worrying you get it checked. its a simple procedure. also i totally understand. i broke my ankle june 23rd 2018. a nightmare of a time. if you dont have a great PT GET ONE. your PT IS A VERY IMPORTANT ASSET.

• Posted

Thanks Dora, I did call my doctors office today about my concerns. Just waiting for a response.

• Posted

Hello, sorry for your pain to prevent blood clot take some Aspirins 325 mg that's what my doctor told me to take I took them for a couple of weeks I broke my ankle back in Feb of this year I came off the boot May 15 I begin to bear weight with boot on April 9th I'm walking now but I do swell by the end of day which is normal. I have that burning sensation also which is normal within time the burning will stop my toes the numbness in toes is normal and the numbness in feet is normal you have to start wiggling your toes and try bending them it will hurt because you haven't use those muscles in over 9 weeks but believe me it will get better especially when you do physical therapy when your ankle swell up prop your leg up on pillows heart level and ice it for 15 mins and the swelling will leave. I don't know why your feet is red maybe call your doctor but every thing else is normal because i went through it. just try and move your feet around as much as possible to prevent getting a blood clogs also make sure you asked someone professional about the aspirins I know that's what my doctor told me and was giving me after my surgery you will be fine stop worrying the hard part is over and that's the surgery remember always keep your feet elevated and ice it when it swell the swelling is inflammation which is normal and icing it will bring the swelling down I still get swelling so it's normal I wish you a speedy recovery

• Posted

Thankyou ayanna, it does make me feel better knowing I'm not the only one going through this. I did call my doctor and waiting for a response. It might be just normal stages of recovery but boy it sure is painful. I was given Lyrica yo take but I don't think they even work for me. 😣

• Posted

hi Anita , i did the same 5 weeks ago and have plate and screws now in place . I livein turkey and its difficult understanding what they tell me at hospital . i have never been given a boot just left with no covering on my scars . i go back to see dr on 12th june hopefully find out about weight baring and if i can get a boot . i need to find some one to do some sort of pt on my ankle. im suffering with tightness in both sides and pins and needles also numbness in toes ,and like you said all the foot turning purple when i put it down for any length of time . also suffering terrible depression as i was so fit before this as am only 54 . Roll on full recovery x

• Posted

Hi Donmell, I'm surprised they didn't at least wrap your ankle in a soft splint. I hope you get a boot when you go back. It does make it easier to get around. In the meantime keep your foot elevated and put an ice pack over your ankle for 15 minutes at a time. and keep wiggling your toes. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

• Posted

I did have it wrapped in a back slab for first 3 weeks then once stitches were removed just left it uncovered .

• Posted

I had a trimalleolar fracture 2/14/2019. I had have metal removed on 3/02/2020. I already know this was an excellent move and I'm happy I did not wait to have the plate and screws removed. My bone has healed perfectly as seen in x-rays at the doctor's office. I am feeling slight stiffness at the moment. I did take an aspirin for 6 weeks after surgery as per doctor's suggestion to prevent blood clots. What I have found in this long and arduous journey is everyday was different and the healing process is different for everyone. Good Luck!

• Posted

Hi Jessica, I'm hoping it isn't my body rejecting the plate and screws. I just don't understand why Im feeling more and newer pain instead of feeling less as days go by. I did call my ortho doctor with my concerns just waiting for a response. I was never told to take aspirin but maybe I should start now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.