9 weeks off effexor withdrawal helper

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone. I took effexor for about 12 years. I've been off it for about 9 weeks now. I have all the typical withdrawals. One thing i've found that really helps is magnesium powder. Theres one at the chemist in oz that says it may help with stress and wowee DOES IT HELP. I tapered off the effexor, after reading how others did it maybe i was a little keen to get off it. I feel better about things with the magnesium in me than i did on the effexor. Maybe i've always had a magnesium problem and this might not be for everyone. Just putting it out there incase it might help someone else.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

9 weeks and your still having withdraw . I just want to cry now but it hurts to much. I was on 300mg daily with a cocktail of sleeping tablets and diazapam into the mix. Almost day 5 cold turkey and I was hoping to feel better in the next few days , I am in the UK and have had two episodes when my meds have been late and started the withdrawl totally disabling me, I just thought no not going threw this again, I can't even sit up for more than a couple of hours then when I am just going to sleep it's like some one is playing that kids game operation in my head but hitting the sides, oh rambling on ! I will try the magnesium as well

• Posted

Hi Gus interested to learn about magnesium deficiency especially when withdrawing from a long-term use of the medication I had some horrible 'brain zaps' when I was withdrawing nut they went away after about six weeks Hope you keep going ok.

• Posted

Hi, are you still on the magnesium? I used Benadryl to help with withdrawals.
    • Posted

Hi Sandra is Benadryl not an antihistamine ?? I don't get the connection , I stopped venlafaxine after being on it for nine weeks , it did nothing for my depression and anxiety and every time I went back to the doc which was every second week she increased it , last week I had had enough , I just was getting more depressed. So went back to Doc today and asked her to start me on fluoxetine , which she did , I was feeling quite sick after taking my first dose and I might be like this for a while , but anything is better than the awful thoughts I was having with venlafaxine , I also have 2 mg of diazepam to take if I need it , any advice would be greatly appreciated

• Posted

Hi Catherine, I was on Ven for 2 years where i felt I was numb, in a haze and only living a half life. My doctor told me I had to come off them because he said I should only be on them for. Year. I was weaned off over 6 weeks and suffered horrific withdrawals to the point of suicide. I came across this forum while desperately seeking help for the withdrawals and someone posted that they had tried Benadryl, specifically with Acrivastine. They said it was historically some sort of hard drug which was found to have other properties. Luckily I had some in the house for allergies. It was a godsend. It counteracted the brainzaps, insomnia and extreme anxiety and allowed me to sleep. I took it three times a day for two months rhen reduced it gradually to see how I reacted. I came off Benadryl with no withdrawals and would recommend this for anyone coming off ven. What have you got to loose.
    • Posted

Sandra thank you very much for your reply I really appreciate it , I started fluoxetine 20 mg yesterday and whether it is mind over matter i don't know but do not feel as if I'm in the black hole I feelt while taking venlafaxine , I did sleep on and off last night and my mood is better today , I couldn't even watch the news on the tv it was so distressing even Coronation Street was to much , I hope that the fluoxetine is going to help me out of this awful depression and anxiety that has been caused by extreme stress over the last two years , I just want to say a huge thank you for replying I appreciate it .

• Posted

Your very welcome Catherine. I hope fluoxetine helps. All the very best for the future.

Sandra.

• Posted

Hi Sandra thank you for posting about benadryl . Day 6 of withdrawal cold turkey from the venlafaxine .

I really can't belive how much better I feel, I was staggering about feeling rock bottom expecting another day of sleep night mares cry head zaps . Within an hour I felt so much better , I don't know why an allergy tablet would make me feel so much better but it really has ! Thanks again 😊

• Posted

Thank you for letting me know that you tried Benadryl. I'm so glad to have helped. All the very best in your recovery. Take care.

Sandra.

• Posted

Thankyou , I hope you are feeling well. You have definitely changed my day into the more positive day . Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.