9 Weeks Post Achilles Tendon Surgery Question

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a complete tendon rupture and surgical repair. Foot was cast at 90 degree angle so I haven't had to do stretching. I am now in a boot, 9 weeks post operation. I will have the boot on another two weeks at least. I have been walking with crutches for two weeks. Have been having a lot of pain in my foot, almost like the whole bottom of my foot is bruised and for the past few days I am now having pain in my heel, close to the tendon repair and it tends to shoot up the tendon. Is this normal when you first star walking with crutches. The dr was hoping to get me in a shoe in two weeks before t I have yet to be able to walk more than 20 steps without crutches and I wouldn't call it walking, more like hobbling.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

6 months post rupture here. I was started on therapy at 3 weeks after surgery and out of boot and driving at 6 weeks. I guess every surgery is different just like every surgeon performs it differently. Pain and swelling common more so swelling than pain but mostly was heel and told this is plantar fascitis which is common. 
    • Posted

Wow, that's so fast. Gives me hope. I am just so impatient and since I had a blood clot I was set back a few weeks. I haven't started physical therapy yet so I get really nervous about every pain. My dr gave me exercises to do at home until I come back for the next visit. Was just curious if others experienced this type of pain when starting to put weight on it again. The pain in the back of the heel worries me the most but it is south of the repair so I don't know what it means. Maybe it is just the incision healing or scar tissue breaking up?

• Posted

Therapy helps the scar tissue but heel pain is kind of common as I dealt with it when first walking. Some of it may be swelling though so ice as much as you can especially since you're just starting to get back on your feet. Sports and the mental hurdle is next for me. So goodluck and push it no pain no gain so long as you don't reinjure.

• Posted

Hey Chris,

Sorry to hear about your injury and discomfort. I had a similar experience towards the last council le weeks in the boot. Felt like I was walking on a marble, and I did have some "Shooters" (shots of pain that were pretty intense but ably lasted a couple seconds). Both subsided slowly over time.

Don't know why I had that marble sensation exactly. My physical therapist suggested that after the foot was immobilized for nearly three months, the little muscles, ten tons, and ligaments in the foot were easily irritated. As for the shooters, the nerve that provides sensation to that part of the foot also gets irritated and sometimes spasms as it recovers resulting in shooters, especially near the surgical area.

If your case is similar to mine, you will find that these both subside with time. Walking seems help accelerate the healing, ironically.

I had to get some different shoes, too. The heel and Achilles area of the surgical foot remained swollen for several months after I got out of the boot. My heel was thicker and my shoes did not fit properly anymore. Even now, 7 months post op, I have some numbness, rarely shooters, but wear my shoes a half size larger than before the surgery.

Best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery.

• Posted

Thanks for the well wishes. Given the blood clot and pain, my main goal is to just stay positive. The progress is slow. I am off the scooter which is an achievement but crutches are a torture all their own and these new pain sensations are nerve wrecking. I know I will be walking again but it can't get here soon enough. Reading the post in these forums really helps.

• Posted

Hi Chris, Sorry to hear that it's early days But I had mine done last August end I get that shooting pain up from the bottom of the heal I am fineding it a reall struggle the gym is so knocking I wonder if it's just me as I always feel So tired on one crutch can't go with out it as I would fall right now I had. Big opp on that foot as well ,, hope you feel better soon Linda 😀

• Posted

Hi everyone.. New to this sorry! Im 5 weeks post achilles complete rupture reconstructive surgery tomorrow! Just coming out my cast all being well going into a boot (possibly another cast!) and im terrified! Because my tendon went whilst I was crossing the road I'm scared its going to go again or my other one will go too.. It went so easily before!! How do get past that fear? Any tips gratefully received! Had issues for 4 years previous tendinitis etc. I also have early oeasteoarthritis due to hypermobility and fybromyalgia. Lost nearly all AT due to degenerative and scarred tendon so had 2 tendon grafts.. Plates.. Pins etc. Made s good job lol! I am on crutches and now they are causing issues of their own! Can't begin to imagine putting my foot down again! Missing walking the dogs and gym (and even vacuuming!!) so much!! Still supposed to be elevated 20 hrs a day.. Going stir crazy!! Hard to explain to people how it feels physically and mentally that haven't been there! Any advice and warnings of what's to come would be great. TIA. Best wishes to all of you.

Anna

• Posted

Hello,Anna,

You certainly have nothing to be sorry about!  WE are sorry that you have sustained this injury. Yes, the fear is hard to get through. My best advice, for what it is worth, is spend some time talking to the doc and--maybe more importantly--to your physical therapist.

As for crutches, I found that the "conventional" crutches are really tough--irritate the side fo the chest, had inside fo the arm; almost unbearable after a few days.  Lots of folks here (including me) found a knee scooter to be really helpful for getting around. Mine had a basket so I could actually take something (laundry or beer, for example) from one room to the other.

I also found some crutchescalled mobilegs; you can find them online and see the videos. AWESOME!  Much more ergonomic than conventional, the hand position is more neutral and natural, and the part that stabilizes it between the side of the upper torso and the upper arm is on a swivel!  Last I looked, they were about $135 USD, but worth every penny.

You are not alone in coping with fear and anxiety about reinjury or recovery. I think most of us have felt that to some degree at some point in the process. Turns out that tendon rupture is a pretty serious injury that cannot be taken lightly.  Hope you can find both comfort and relief, and I wish you a smooth medical procedure as well as speedy and complete recovery. Take care.  

• Posted

Thank you very much for your answer and all the very useful information.. It is gratefully received and I will look into the aids you have recommended. I do need to speak to Dr again I think.. Just to put my mind at ease!

Thanks again

Anna

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.