9 weeks post knee replacement

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi. I was wondering if any of you are going to a gym to assist your recovery, and if so how long after your op and what sort of equipment are you using? I know we are all different .but I went today for several reasons really to help my very depressed state and the isolation I've felt over the last 9 weeks ( apart from this group ) I keep feeling I take a few steps forward to then dive back a few steps and now I've caused a flare up .I only did 20 mins on the treadmill very slowly and the same on a static bike. Although still struggling to get a full turn on the bike! I was very dizzy for a while after and when I got home my knee was extremely painful and ached really badly.so I couldn't do anything the rest of the day. I'm returning tomorrow with a gently does it approach! And also to work on my upper body strength as I feel so tired and week as a kitten all the time. I would be very grateful for any tips regarding the gym and what equipment you felt helped you and times you stayed on each thing in the very beginning. Thank you people x

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Approximately 12 weeks post, I started biking outside and I feel it really helped.  Took about 6 weeks and I thought wow, I'm so much stronger then I used to be...  I have to say though, I'm still nervous about falling and hurting my leg, so a stationery bike would probsbly feel safer.  I used gear one or two as my physio guy told me that was less pressure..I.e. Like the bike racers do...they pedal like hamsters.  I'm 8 months now...and I am happy with my progress....the biggest being patience.
  • Posted

Hi

i was a gym bunny before my op - always in the gym but didn't return until 12wks.

I go only for the weights. Leg presses. Chest presses. Free weights etc. For walking i prefer outside and walk roughly 12000 steps a day - roughly 8km or 5 miles

i take everything slowly and pause between exercises.

Listen to your body and to your knee! smile

• Posted

.  If I could get to the gym/pool I would go!  That being home all the time thing gets old.   I get excited to walk to the corner store to talk to my friends there.

Keep going.  Go easy on the static bike (mine is here at home) Even after you get that first full revolution always work up to it.   When you can do 10 minutes on that thing again, it really helps get the endorphines going and kicks you out of that mood. Best of luck!

• Posted

Dear Jayne

This group is really amazing and it really helps to hear others opinions. I am in France where they take the after op excercise (physio) very seriously. I too am about 9 weeks post op.

The treadmill slowly for about 10 minutes was my first excercise at a residential physio centre and also a static bike. But and beware. The normal gym style bike will be too severe for you. Your leg is probably only bending to about 90degrees at the moment and to go on a bike properly you need your knee to be about 110degrees. They had the floor mounted pedals (rather than bike) at the physio place and the angle was much less acute as I could do 15 minutes  2 weeks post op.. They also had pedals for the arms!  Which of course was very light but kept you moving. But I would be very careful of standard gym equipment.It is designed for able bodied I would imagine and 9 weeks post op is too soon.  I also have pool therapy and that is just amazing. You can do knee bends, walking down stairs (this is a special pool with proper steps, not a pool ladder) I get one of those long polystyrene tubes, hook it under (tricky) my bad leg and pump it up and down. That is good.

But if you are suffering badly then you have probably done too much and I reckon the bike is the villain. 

Ice packs and pain killers! That's the ticket.

I think as someone said, this is a marathon and not a sprint.

Good luck

Liz

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. On reflection I think maybe I committed to a years membership a few weeks to early! But I will go as it will get me out of my self enforced isolation and just do several things for a few min's only. And maybe use the upper body for my arms etc. I was forced to listen to my body last night and I didn't get to bed until 4.30am.due to a very unhappy knee! 😡 x
    • Posted

Dear Jayne

I found that when I came back home after almost 4 weeks away (1 week in hospital having op and almost 3 weeks in physio place) I felt very strange and it all seemed just too much. But I can honestly say, even thogh I am not very bendy, phsycologically I feel so much better. I think as we adapt and the realisation sets in thet it will not be better in the blink of an eye, then it is easier to go forward. But getting out and certainly talking on this forum (which is brilliant) helps no end. I am driving again and started working a little bit. But I still hobble a bit and it does get painful but not so much as yours sounds.

Good luck

• Posted

I am really lucky that Nuffield gives you three months free membership of their gym and pool as part of their knee replacement surgery, so once you are done with their outpatient physio they refer you on to the local gym. I am not there yet but am hearing that static bike with no resistance is how they start you off, plus some gentle weights to help with lift from the quads. I suspect that softly softly is the way to go and giving yourself light rest days for the muscles to recover.
  • Posted

Hi Jayne

Actually 5 was today since my TKR getting around really well only one stick and hopefully get the all clear to walk freely on Friday whilst at the Physio 

I purchased a set of foot pedals on reccomendedation ,They working great form me building my quads and calf muscles and also my knee 

I know not everyone is the same but they allowed me to exersise when and as much as I wanted without havin the burden of trying to get to a gym 

I hope this bit of info is useful to you 

Good luck 

• Posted

Yes - use the vertical bike, the step. gym ball wall slides, heel lifts, 3 minutes on cross trainer, heel lift and few arm resistance bands - not using the circuit stuff yet - but only 7 weeks - you need to check and be careful as they wont be liable if you hurt yourself due to pre-exisitng unless you folllow a programme from a physio.

Feels good even if you go in an do same exercises at home - more normal.

• Posted

the only thing I;m doing at the moment is the hydrotherapy pool . I'm not really sure if it's any better than doing the exercises at home, but it's quite pleasant, very warm, and quite relaxing when you aren't actually pushing yourself. . .I'd like to try an exercise bike, but haven't got one, and not going to risk buying one and finding it's not for me. . . Strange thing yesterday!  My bed has always hovered around 90/95, and all the pushing and shoving in the world wouldn't push it further.  Yesterday I sat in my special chair for doing the exercises, started to see how far it would go back . . . and it went to about 130!  Without pain!  I tell you, there is nust no logic to this thing.  I had been lax with the exercises for two days due to life getting in the way . . . . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.