9 weeks post Laparotomy and have worries

Posted , 4 users are following.

Not major worries but things I wonder about.

I have found over the last week that I am getting small sharp pains in my right side and sometimes over the wound area. Not sure if this is just my muscles repairing. Sometimes it feels like someone is pulling my muscles and nerves as it feels like a pull.

I am still very tired and drained when I do stuff. Is this common?

And did anyone get a backache if they tried to do anything.......I mean anything. I just hung my washing on a dryer and my back aches like crazy.

Just want to feel back to normal.

Anyone have any insight or advice?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm 6 months post laparotomy.

I got backache and sciatica a couple of months after. They cut through your core muscles so you need to work on gradually strengthening your core and work on posture. I had some physio to help.

I used to get some random pains too. Could be adhesions from scar tissue. If you're concerned I'd see your GP though.

Good luck x

• Posted

I definitely experienced the sharp pains afound the wound, my doctor told me it was just the nerves coming back. I had my surgery in April, I was out of work for 5 weeks and it took a while for me to feel completely healed. They say to allow 6-8 months.
  • Posted

Hi there I am about 1 and half post op from a laparotomy, I feel a lot of tenderness below my belly button down to my incision? Did you experience this? I feel okay I can walk wash dishes sweep very slowly lol. I'm getting concerned because I did not feel this until now only where the incisinon is is where I felt discomfort. Now I'm feeling tenderness in my belly area more than my incision which is bikini line area. I'm scared of having a hernia or some type of infection.
    • Posted

Are you 1 and half weeks post op??

Tenderness is common but I think the reason you are feeling it now is because you are doing too much. In the first 2 weeks all I done was rest, get up for the toilet, bed and to get food. It was all I could do.

Even now, if I do too much I get so so tired.

I had a lot of tenderness, niggles, pains in my belly and i still do.

Please rest more. I was dilliusioned and thought I could do things and I was wrong. Rest is the word. Rest, Rest. Rest!! I had 4 Drs beg me to do this as i had my wound opened because I walked to a shop the day the staples were removed!!!

Hope you feel better soon.

Message me if you have any questions. I am almost 12 weeks post op

• Posted

I agree you're doing too much too soon. My belly used to feel swollen and tender when I did too much. Recognise that feeling and rest. You will be able to build up activities but you're less than two weeks post op you should only be resting x
    • Posted

Okay thanks, yea I have totally stopped doing house chores until my doctor says it's okay. I guess I felt good and my body is just not ready. Its funny how that happens.
    • Posted

I was like that too. I started working from home on week 3 and felt good. Almost convinced I could go back to work. But one evening saying hi to my Drama group and I felt awful.

Only now, 12 weeks post op. Can I do housework without feeling terrible.

I was convinced I was well enough, but I was not. Take it slow, your body will tell you when its ready Trust me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.