9 weeks post op ORIF- new pain?!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all!

I am so happy to have found this forum. I tried looking through to find my answers but unfortunately I haven’t so hopefully one of you can help me!!! 

I am 9 weeks post op. (Horseback riding accident) ORIF talus fracture/ligament repair/bone graft. 2 weeks in cast (with ice machine boot inside cast) non-weight bearing, (started PT when I got boot) 4 weeks in boot non weight bearing and at 6 weeks I was told to transtition out of boot and have full weight bearing. (Ditched the boot a few days after that and am wearing brace) Everything in my recovery has gone super smooth (can walk with only a slight limp sometimes, use stairs, drive etc.) up until last week when 8 weeks passed and it was time to start strengthening my ankle. I am now in severe pain in one of my incisions, a lot of new scar tissue, and achellis pain. My ROM was great and now it’s a bit declined I believe from the new scar tissue. It hurts like hell to press down on it. I am massaging, icing, elevating but I’m not sure what else to do. I feel like a baby but I feel like I’ve taken 10 steps back. Do yall think this pain is because of the new scar tissue? Strengthening? Am I going over board too fast? Mainly is this pain normal with yalls experience and when does it start to get better? Did I do something wrong and should I go back to surgeon before my 12 week appt.? I have PT tomorrow and I don’t want to stop strengthening it but I don’t want to make it worse. Unless it’s suppose to get worse before it gets better? I’m just really nervous now that I won’t be able to ride my horse or ski anymore without pain  sad

If someone could please help me from their experiences that would be amazing! Any tips etc.

Thank you so much in advance to take time out of your day to help calm my nerves! 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey Victoria, I experienced a similar thing this week as I felt like I regressed.  I had a tib, fib fracture am now on my 9 th week, started PT last week. Had a sensitivity in a certain area since the beginning but after the second PT appt. when she massaged that area ( it was very painful when she did it but she said that was how you desensitizes the area)  it became swollen and unbelievably painful to the point where I thought I must have done something wrong. I couldn’t get to sleep the foot was throbbing! I thought i might never walk again. I had not worn my boot because it was painful so I thought I must have refractured a bone or done something. But when I went back the other therapist explained that the boot actually protects the foot from any weight bearing damage (I have a week to go until full weight bearing) and it helps keeps the swelling down. So she helped me get into the boot that day it was better, I kept it on and the swelling and pain got better so now I like the boot even though I despise it. And for that pesky pain sensitivity, we’re working on it. So yes, it’s terrifying to have those thoughts running through your mind! I’m sure your horse misses you! You’ll be galloping before you know it!!!!
    • Posted

Thank you so much!! That really made me feel better. I’m sorry to hear about your injury and I hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly! smile 
  • Posted

It just sounds like you are overdoing it.  Back off and let everything heal.  I don't think you have any new scar tissue.  Just get some rest.  I know its tough.  I am also at 9 weeks and am eager to go 100%.  I really have to pace myself.

• Posted

Thank you for the reply! You were totally right. I took it slow this last week and my ankle feels so much better. I hope the rest of your recovery goes smooth and fast smile 
  • Posted

Victoria was your talus fracture displaced? Was it body or neck fracture? What did your doc say about avn and arthritis?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.