9 weeks post op tomorrow

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi folks,  I will be 9 weeks po tomorrow &  just had my 2nd physio session yesterday.

All good, flexion 120+, but that was with physio pushing the leg back & with little discomfort! However under muscle power alone I get barely 100 & extension just off 0. So not much to do on the straightening but now need strength for full rom!

She has now dropped the heel slides from my routine (yay!!) but has given me others to help strengthen! (Shhh, don't tell her, but I prefer the new exercises!) including an exercise on the bottom step of the stairs very similar to how Chico says to climb the stairs!

This is such a different recovery from last year, more pain early on (probably because I refused morphine iv in hospital) but much more movement which I also put down to no morphine. I was so out of it that I could hardly stay awake, that was when I wasn't vomiting up everything I ate or drank! I spent most of my time lying on the bed asleep & had half hearted physio sessions! 

I found it difficult to 'own' the new knee last year & was fearful of pushing it, but this one no probs!

Just thought I would share that with you. At least you will understand.

If this is your 1st TKR don't be afraid to push it as long as you are not in too much pain! Don't get to screaming point when exercising but don't think you'll damage the new joint. Let pain & the knee guide you.

The best advice I can give anyone is don't be a martyr, ask for help when you need it. Look after yourself, take plenty of rest & when you need to cry do! You've had brutal surgery, give yourself, your body & your mind good time to recover.

We will all get there eventually

Marilyn 

XX

3 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Marilyn glad to hear you're doing well! Im rarely on site now but posted a 15mo anniversary note. Your encouragement in the beginning really made a difference. THANKS!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.