9 weeks post ORIF

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I fell on Aug.29 had surgery on Oct.2,2016. Last week I was given a boot and told to walk and to apply what weight I could tolerate. Still using crutches or a walker depending on the need. Have not be referred to PT. My foot hurts sometimes sharp and dull aching pains. Sometimes it's hot then cold. At times It has no feeling and then it starts to throbes. When I try to walk it hurts really bad feels like my ankle is breaking all over and the bottom of my foot feels like it is splitting,but it's not. I have never had such a serious injury. The swelling is bad when ever I use the boot or put my foot down for an hour or more. I was told to only use boot when getting around. Everytime I put it on it hurts I have no flexibility my insicion on the outside of my ankle hasn't completely healed as well as the inside. The bottom of my foot feels hard and I have layers of dead skin. I have pain on both sides where the hardware was added. They put a plate and 9 screws in my ankle. My doctor doesn't communicate effectively with me and is very hard to understand. Unsure if what I am experiencing is normal or should I get a second opinion. Luckily I have a loving husband and son to help me. But I am so ready to get back to normal.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Oh I'm so sorry! I had the same surgery on 10/20 and was in a splint for 2.5 weeks, then put in a book but still non weight bearing for 6 more weeks. Will evaluate with dr at appointment in mid dec if he think I can start doing as you are now and applying weights as tolerated. The key here is "as tolerated" and you don't seem to be tolerating it. If it were me, I would stop. I was told to wear my boot most of the time but to take it off 3 times per day for stretching and moving my ankle and ligaments. I would start with that, wait for the swelling to go down (turmeric is a great anti inflammatory) and be gentle with yourself. This was a significant injury and your body needs time to heal. If it were me, I would give it 2 weeks of resting and healing and stretching (doing the ABCs with your foot is a good one) and then try again. If it's still not tolerable I would talk to my dr.

• Posted

Sophia,

Thanks for the advise. I have placed a call to my doc and just waiting to hear back. I'm just really questioning whether it's healed enough for this amount of tension and pressure. Well it seems like things are going well for you and I hope it continues.

Sista

• Posted

So agree with Sophia about acknowledging u are not tolerating weight bearing well, working on some flexibility by moving (writing alphabet with foot is good) and checking back with ur doctor. When people are given ok for weight bearing seems to be moving target. I was 6 weeks post ORIF surgery before I was released to 25% weight bearing. Then 3 more weeks until weight bearing. Then spent a fair amount of time with leg elevated and with ice especially after PT. All those other complaints are pretty common too. Some of what u are feeling is everything coming back into use. Someone recently commented on a post that it was about 18 months before the ankle stopped demanding attention. For the sake of argument, do u think ur husband would be willing to massage ur foot. Some have posted about massage with lotion. Helps skin and circulation (swelling) and just feels good. Wish I had bugged my hubby for this more often.

Best wishes in ur recovery. Lisa

• Posted

Lisa I appreciate the suggestions offered and will certainly get my husband to massage my ankle. Great idea. Until this forum I felt as if no one really understood my worries. So once again thank you.

Sista

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.