9 weeks post total knee resurfacing operation

Posted , 6 users are following.

Ok so on weds I will be 9 weeks post op. For those of you that are not certain what total knee resurfacing is it's still under the umbrella of total knee replacement they took off my knee cap and completely covered areas with metal ...... anyhow I feel that I have gone backwards..at 6 weeks post op I felt really good and was just able to get a sock on my foot ( like most of you my thigh muscles had shortened during months of protecting the knee before my op.) Due to excersises and physiotherapy however the last few weeks has been a struggle and I can't get sock on and front and back of knee painful ...also does anyone else get out of bed really stiff and leg won't move properly for around 5 minutes? Perhaps I was getting a bit cocky at 6/7 weeks and did too much ? I'm still using 1 crutch when I walk outside for any distance as I want to try to avoid limping ....anyone else at the 9 week stage ?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Penny, we have spoken before, I’m at 9 weeks post TKR today. Have trouble with stiffness in the night, morning & when I’ve been sitting too long!  As far as pain goes been not too bad for weeks but still taking pain killers, but I have trouble with bend which is a real nuisance!  I am also using one crutch outside only.  I have started to go to gym and swimming but as yet I have not overdone it, maybe I’m not working hard enough!!!  Best Wishes to you.

• Posted

Hi Penny

I am 9 weeks tomorrow, I felt the same as you at 6/7 weeks, I was painting a shed the pain had eased right off. Now just at 9 weeks I am in more pain and stiff in the mornings and if I have been sitting for a while.

Today for some reason my knee is more painful than it has been for 3/4 weeks. I have take painkillers and using ice packs. I too use 1 crutch only when I go out. I hope you are soon pain free, it gets you down a bit after awhile

• Posted

Sorry to hear that Penny.  As you know I'm about to have exactly the same procedure done by the same surgeon so was hoping to hear good news.  Everyone on here seems to say it takes time though so hopefully it's just a blip.  Fingers crossed!

• Posted

Hi Mary , things have changed again ...it's not all doom and gloom ..my physiotherapist has said she doesn't need to see me again as I have full range of movement on my knee..she has explained the pain is not from the knee but muscles on legs tightened before op and they had been lazy ...and now I'm telling them to work lol....at the Wessex Nuffield you can use the hydrotherapy pool independently 6 session £50 half hour...so I'm still using the pool to do the excersises....feels nice and easier...I went for a 3 mile walk on Sunday a little holly and the knee was fine !! Not using crutches now 😀 that's the thing with this journey. Up and downs ...don't be worried I don't regret having the operation because I was in pain and walking with a limp before

• Posted

Hi Penny,  so pleased things have improved for you!  Not sure I'll get a physio as I'm NHS (unless I find one myself I suppose).  I can actually walk well and without pain if I'm on a flat surface which is why I'm worried at the problems people on the site are dealing  with - don't want to end up worse than I already am.

?Anyway Professor Barratt has a good reputation and I'm sure he wouldn't suggest an unnecessary procedure so I'm putting my faith in him and hoping for the best.

Hope you continue to improve.  Have a lovely Christmas!

• Posted

If you want a physio Mary get referred by your GP. I had mine done on NHS saw a physio three times but they didn't do anything to me at all. So I made a fuss at my surgery and I have a physio appointment on Friday and Ive got a group one on Thursday I'm taking everything I can get my hands on X 

• Posted

Thanks for the information Snoozy - I'll bear it in mind.

• Posted

Hi I'm 8 weeks post op this Thursday and yes my first steps in the morning are difficult but when I've took a few I can manage without the stick. I keep overdoing it nearly everyday I never learn lol. I just ice and elevate and take pain meds. I've started writing everything down that I do so I can see if there is a pattern to pain and stiffness. I still take my stick when I walk outside but I can tell that I'm not leaning on it as much. I try and concentrate on my walking style making sure to start on the heel and push off on my toes. I can feel that my calf muscle is very weak so trying to do calf raises to improve that.  I think when my muscles are stronger my limp will disappear. 

• Posted

I’m 11mos our and still have the stiffness in the morning or after sitting for like no periods. They say it takes at least a year.

I think i thought I was doing better in few weeks also, but I think that’s because I was still on Percocet and just didn’t feel it. 😊

• Posted

STUPID AUTOCORRECT. 11mos OUT and After sitting long periods.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.