9 weeks since rupture, surgery now advised

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello...

Wonder if anyone has experience of surgery late into recovery?  Been 9 weeks since rupture, initially just Thomson test performed and advised no surgery option, cast for 6.5 weeks, boot for 2.5 weeks

Transferred to different hospital (house move), initial discussion on transfer and first ultrasound since injury with them, 9 weeks into 'recovery' advised surgery is required.

Any experience?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Apols...should clarify Achilles Rupture
  • Posted

Hi! Nigel

I had a partial achilles tendon tear/rupture back in August of last year. Because my insurance is so strict on doing all options before certain tests that in the beginning the only non-invasive testing allowed was an x-ray which showed a had a fairly large bone spur at the junction between the achilles and my heel bone. Anyways, long story short, after doing everything ( cortisone, boot, boot & crutches, cortisone inj.)and nothing worked to stop the pain, swelling, etc.; my doc was finally allowed to do an MRI in February of this year, which showed the tendon tear. So I had surgery on March 15th. It was slow going these first 3 months or i thought so , but it's getting better everyday. I was NWB for 2 1/2 months, now in boot which as of yesterday, he told me he wanted me out of it in a month and back in supportive tennis shoes. I don't know how old u are but I am a 60 yrs old. My doctor told me yesterday, i am progressing much faster than alot of his younger patients. So to answer, it is not as uncommon as u may think to not have surgery at the very beginning.

• Posted

Hi Amy

Glad you're progressing, can't wait for the day I go into shoes again. 

My concern is that I wasn't diagnosed with the complications I have early on, Achilles was never going to heal due damage after rupture...if a scan had been done at initial diagnosis instead of week 9, I'd of been advised surgery...there is no other option in my case.  Feel a waste of 9 weeks and now back to square 1.

Hope your progress continues....not far off your age to be honest  :  )

• Posted

Hi Nigel,

Sorry you have had this occur to you,  and hope you get it sorted soon. I'm on the start of my 7th week and see the consultant this week and hope I will not need an operation. I had full rupture and was told best to go non operative route, which I was pleased about because of my age 69 and I didnt want infections and another anethesia, had two already in last 6 months.

I've done a lot of reading and I believe if well managed, early weight bearing, non op can produce good results but some may say that not having an operation saves the NHS in england lots of theatre and operation costs so consultants may be favouring the non operation route for reasons other than the best option.

Good luck with yours.

• Posted

Excited and nervous now... FHL surgery Weds 8th Aug...ruptured on 27th April.

• Posted

Hello Nigel,

that must be so frustrating and annoying. It amazes me that there is so much differences in advice and treatment offered with regard to ATR in the U.K with NHS. Given the impact to people with work and life in the short to medium term.

i am 4 weeks from full ATR, I was put straight into a boot, I have had an initial consultation with the registrar and then seen a nurse, simple Thompson test no ultrasound and I cannot help wondering if it's NHS penny pinching behind it. I also have received no real guidance or information apart from some superficial chat. Which is why I have turned to the internet and these forums to find out more. I am in Cambridge and been "treated" at Addenbrookes Hospital. I don't expect 5* treatment on the NHS but it's been pretty poor so far, best wishes for a speedy recovery!

• Posted

Hello Nigel,

Hope all went well with your surgery.

As u know I was progressing, I thought quite well with mine. 3 weeks ago, I was walking in my yard, stepped in a hole and completely ruptured the tendon I had had surgery on previously. I had surgery again 2 weeks ago. It has been a totally different experience this time. First time a poditrist did the surgery, this time a Orthopedic surgeon that specialized in Sports injuries, etc.

I was in a soft splint the first 2 weeks, just had that changed to a hard cast with my foot at a certain degree and also, had stitches removed. The pain this time has been pretty moderate but i expected that since my surgeon had to pretty much reconstruct and graft my tendon to be able to reattach the 2 ends. My cast will be changed every 2 weeks over the next few months with the angle of my foot changing each time. After, a boot with wedges. I will be NWB for at least 5 months. So, I'm taking it one day at a time. And thank goodness for the scooter I have this time around.

As I said earlier, I hope all went well with your surgery snd u have a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Hello..

Wow... 5 months NWB! I thought 5 weeks NWB was a lot, full respect to you for facing that journey...you'll breeze it.

After another delay, my surgery was 2 days ago, sat at home now, foot up, slight pain but a very happy chap to have my ankle reconnected (via FHL method) to my calf after a 3.5 month wait.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.