9 weeks TKR post op and still 90 degree bend

Posted , 10 users are following.

Today is 9 weeks post op and although I have greatly improved, I am only at a 90 degree bend.  I found this board a few weeks into my recovery & am very thankful.  My knee replacement was my 6th surgery on my right knee.  I am a 46 yr old female in the states.  My bend has been very slow to progress & I have only gained a couple degrees over the past 2 weeks.  I have an appt with my surgeon next week & am HOPING that I do not have to have MUA.  Has anyone had a slow progress with their bend & have been able to avoid having MUA?  I only had 110 pre surgery & tend to build scar tissue quickly.  I can go upstairs fine, still working on going down stairs, and I just limp when I've been sitting for a while or getting up in the morning.  Trying to stay positive, but very frustrated.  I'd love to hear from anyone in a similar situation.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

As long as you are picking up a degree here and there to j are making progress. You difnt mention your straight. Number. I have always been told strai hit is more important than bend as without getting to zero you will have a tendency to limp which in turn throws you into more problems.maybe if you try slowing down your entire process. Make sure you are taking a full stride hitting herl, toe a nd then make a full bend. This wont win you any style points but will sure help with your bend. Hurrying and takinv those little short rushing moves just sets you back. This may sound strange but increase your fluids. Dehydration is a real enemy to nice fluid strides and movement. Don't forget to rest as much as possible. Being tired and taking shortcuts is just a recipe for disaster. As I mention ad naseaum, I've been through 11 surgeries and 5 complete rehabs. It takes longer each time. My surgeon told me a couple of weeks ago I'm lucky to be walking and I can expect it to take a couple of years and I'll probably still be on pain meds the rest of my life. This is a brutal surgery and the more you have the more the trauma. Be patient, blow down and make each step count
  • Posted

Hi Shannon

You are so young to have to have had a TKR and with so many ops already on it, your progress I imagine will be very slow.

I think mornings are the worst for everyone.  Knee is just so stiff and has effected my sleep pattern badly.  Its 6.45am here in Ireland and I am sittig with a cup of coffee, an icepack on and I am waiting for 2 codeine to kick in so I can do my stretching.

I have stopped obsessing bout the bend and extension and I dont call the exercises that I do PT anymore.  Its stretching and gently.  Your only 9 weeks post op so way to go yet.  I'm just 13 weeks and doing ok. The frustration is enormous when you  feel things are not going quickly enough for you. We've all been there.

My advice to you, is softly softly gently gently.

And the key word Patience.confused

Best wishes

Ann

The Irish One

• Posted

Hi Shannon,

I'm going to spoil your day in one way, I've followed this site for about a month in England. I must be the lucky one. I had the left TKR done 11 weeks ago and the right TKR 6 weeks ago. I was walking normally some two weeks after the first one. The second one seemed to be at the same state after 4 weeks. This delay made me feel as though I was lagging behind. Obviously not so! My meds were 2 x Solpadol 4 times a day (codeine & paracetamol combined) I reduced this down to 1 x Solpadol 4 times a day. As I said it's been 11 weeks post op and I've felt good enough to move a dozen railway sleepers into position to shore a steep bank up. I know it's stupid and I did feel as though I needed something extra so took 2 x tramadol last night and have woken up entirely pain free.

The reason for putting my side to you is that although I feel lucky I've also put certain things into place.

1. Never forget your meds, don't let them out of your system. If you are in pain then you either need to change or increase.

2. Raise your ankle on a rolled towel leaving a gap behind your knee and place a pack of frozen peas on your knee and flex downwards holding for 5 to 10 seconds. Do this often.

3. Best of all, place your foot on the second step and push forward holding the stretch for same amount of time.

4. Walk a bit further than you feel you can both up and down inclines. You obviously will do the downhill at snails pace.

5. Buy some Cocoa burger cream with vitamin E. This is recommended for pregnant ladies to prevent stretch marks so logically if it works for that then it will help make the skin supple. It seems to work for me and is is fantastic to help whilst massaging.

5. Massage hard and deep with the cream. Do it as though you are pushing the fat out. Do this all over the knee and calf, in fact anywhere you think may need stretching.

6. Whilst walking its important to walk properly. That's heel down and roll through to ball of foot. It's not a race and until you master this then walk slowly concentrating.

7. IT'S IMPORTANT TO HAVE A TOTAL DAY OFF AFTER ALL THAT TO LETT YOUR MUSCLES TO REPAIR!

Yes I've been very lucky and whether it's the placebo effect I feel all the above has helped. So to anyone who is struggling then give it ago and let me know how you get on. What I have found is that I feel a marked improvement every day but measure it by the week.

Oh one more thing about the stairs important to remember to put the correct foot down or up first. Remember 'Bad DOWN to hell first' 'Good UP to heaven first! It also helps to turn slightly to the bad side in the initial stages.

• Posted

Sorry about predictive text - It should have said Cocoa Butter not burger! And on 7, To LEAVE your muscles to repair, not lett!
    • Posted

Thank you very much!  I started with the massaging last night.  I appreciate the tips!
  • Posted

YES! Stop worrying. I couldn't get a 90 degree bend without gritting my teeth for about 5 months. I was worried about having MUA but I told the surgeon I thought i was improving and he seemed OK with me only just about making 90 degrees. Now the knee bends fine without me even thinking about it and when I went back to the hospital two weeks ago they were happy with the bend and I am now waiting to get knee two done.

I said this before on here but I wonder why people are beating themselves up over meeting targets. Everyone is different and healing can be slow. Do the bending and stretching exercises gently and just within your comfort zone and trust that things will get better with time.

• Posted

Hi Tracey.  I think the worrying comes from the fact that the Drs give a window as to when the MUA can be done & I am right in that window.  It's good to know that you kept improving without the MUA.  I will keep at it.  Good luck with knee #2, youre a trooper!
    • Posted

I know, there they go with their targets again. I had the six week post operative check and the MUA was very much on my mind. I forced my knee to a 90 degree bend to satisfy the dr and as I said I told him I thought I was improving and he was OK with that. Well It has improved greatly even though there were times when I thought "Oh man I am stuck like this!" It just didn't improve in their time frame.

Dreading going through it all again but I am now realising that actually this new knee isn't so bad.

• Posted

I had TKR 4 years ago. My bend was poor and I just managed to get to 90 degrees for my 6 week post op appointment with my consultant. But I did avoid MUA.

Pre op my bend was very poor only about 50 degrees.

Sarah

• Posted

Hey you only 90 at 7 weeks im105 at 15 days how about that but having trouble with my swollen calf keeps me from walking with a walker some advice would be appreciated 
    • Posted

You are very new to the process. Your problem might be from the tourniquet they use to control blood loss. Continue excercise and icing. Rest as much as possible and elevate when you you sit. Increase your water intake and stay hydrated.
    • Posted

You are a very fortunate person.  Most people on this forum are having problems. A lot of people are depressed because they cant get past that extra degree that all and sundry tell them they should reached. If you are only 15 days after surgery, you should still be elevating your leg, ice after exercising and please realise this is not a contest forum. Everyone heals differently, some longer, some shorter (Some never heal at all). Those that heal with no issues, do not have any reason to be on a help forum

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.