90° ruling ! How long...

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hiya Guys,

Been searching various bits of information on the 90°degree rule, just wanted to ask how long ish, does this rule apply. How serious is it if you push your luck on this rule etc, any help or advice as ever, most appropriate.

Stay safe 😀

Pete

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Well the longer the better IMHO but I've been breaking the rule for a time when putting on socks and drying between my toes!   Keep saying to myself be careful.   I'm now about five months since posterior surgery.   First five weeks due to a hospital ambulance I was on bed rest due to a suspected cracked pelvis, now confirmed due to extra bone growth.

Cheers  Richard.

• Posted

Hi Pete

Serious consequence is dislocation. I also find if I bend too far it pulls my already tight museless etc and can cause pain for a little while after.

I was given that restriction and had a follow up appt for 13 weeks after op so would of kept the restriction til then. However I fell and ended up having xray and seeing consultant at 6 weeks (all was ok thank goodness) and he told me I could start to relax the restrictions, but to take care

I find that I start to feel it pull when I do some things past 90 degrees so I stop doing it straight away.

I personally would advise to keep to restriction until your surgeon says otherwise.

Sandra

• Posted

H I’m 12 weeks post op and aren’t aware of the 90degree rule what is it please ..

well done on your recovery , i am also posteria approach 

thanks in advance Amanda 

• Posted

Hi Amanda

WOW that you had posterior and may not have had this restriction! !!!

The angle between your thighs and stomach should never be less than 90 degrees. Means you can't bend right over, have to be careful getting in and out of bed/chair and need dressing aids as you can't reach to your feet for example.

Sandra

• Posted

Hi Sandra , thanks for explaining that , i cant do it anyway lol ....maybe as its a bit soon , i didn’t go to joint school as i had a cancellation, so i had to just manage and be sensible when I got home...

thank you again x 

• Posted

Pete

Richard is probably right but generally the surgeons say 6 weeks. You hear stories of people dislocating which do not sound nice, so I think the consequence can be serious. My gut feeling is that to dislocate you need to bend it past 90deg and apply a bit of force. but best to keep to the rule if you can,

At my 6 week review my surgeon also said that putting your socks on (for instance) by pushing your knee outward and crossing your foot over your other leg was better than twisting any other way. I'm working on it but can only touch half way down my foot so far.

Mike

• Posted

I think it depends on what method of THR you had. 
    • Posted

Dear Garry

I imagine that your level of fitness and how well recovered your muscles are as weak muscles surely make dislocation more likely.

The first time around twenty years ago I had the posterior a

• Posted

Ooops...as I was about to say I had the posterior approach and was not given any guidance notes or exercises to do and did not have any physio but made a rapid and pain free recovery.

Second time around, earlier this year a revision of the ball and cup because I had worn the darned thing out with my activities. Much less able to support myself as my muscles felt very much weaker. May have been because the revision was twenty years later on and I was now taking blood thinning tablets which I understand makes one bruise much more easily.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

I'd say at least 20 weeks for safety - see my risk graph. 

The real risk here is that you may dislocate, and then possiblyhave to have a revision operation to put it all back again.  Also, this can affect holiday insurance afterwards as the companies may ask how many times you have dislocated (mine did).

Graham

• Posted

Most surgeons tend to lift the restriction at the 6 weekish post op check, as you are healed enough to be at minimal risk of complications including dislocation

i was also told never to twist in 2 directions at once

• Posted

Hi Monkeypearl, The 90 degree rule was for 12 weeks, when I saw my surgeon 6.5 weeks post op he lifted quite a few of them but the 90 degree one he did not. He told me never to cross my leg, right across my knee, I said as a lady I don't do that anyway lol. I can however cross my leg a fair way across lower down to enable me to cut toenails etc. Also told me not to cross my feet but I do! I'm 2 years post op now. 

• Posted

H Pete

I am 16 weeks ,my advice was pretty well the same as everyone else's!  At my 12 week appointment my surgeon was really pleased with muscle development, but warned that there will always be a greater risk of dislocation that was obviously not there before, but at this point it was ok to relax the 90 degree rule but to take care

Chris

• Posted

Hi, dipen on surgeon  and country.  Here in Australia is now 6 weeks 90 degree rules  but with advice  to take it easy.  I was able to do most of things affer about 8 weeks but be careful.  Also dipend how you heel  . Just be careful  and listen your body. If you do something not right the body will tell you. Take care 

Hug Madla💗

• Posted

I notice a lot of response to be careful if going below 90. I am going on 3 weeks and have been putting my surgery side leg back and bending toward the opposite side to get something off the floor. the surgical side appears better than 90 this way and I feel nothing. That is what refer to myself as being careful. I'm wondering if others have something in mind to be careful? I'm guessing picking a heavy object off the floor is not being careful. How about sitting and pulling your knee towards your chest to put on a sock? That is tempting to try but maybe its really bad?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.