90% Transferrin saturation: How worried should I be?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, hope someone can put my mind at rest; mI am posting this in the Haemochromatosis forum, although I haven't been formally diagnosed.

I've had quite a few blood tests recently, following an abnormally high Transferrin Saturation of 90%;

Also, Serum transferrin 1.75g/l,

Serum iron level of 39.3 umol/L (a bit high).

Mean corpusc. haemoglobin(MCH) 32.7 pg (a bit high)

Everything else, including Liver, renal and Thyroid results are fine.

I spoke to a doctor, who didn't think I needed any immediate action; I have an abdominal scan booked for the end of June, which seems a long wait (and the way things are, could be longer..).. I suggested might it be worthwhile having a phlebotomy (or venesection) as an intermediate, and relatively harmless procedure.. but she said no, wait for a 'formal diagnosis', which will obviously be months away. Meanwhile, I'm worried permanent damage might be occurring!

Any thoughts welcome.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

A quick update: I've been on a monthly blood donation (specially organised as a 'Haemochromatosis Donor' to allow monthly donations for five or six months now... I've just had a blood test, and I am down to a good level of Ferritin 39 (was 900 or so), and Trnsferrin sat Index: 45% (was 90%).

So it's taken about 10 or so venesections over 14 months to get down to that level.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.