92 year old mom, should she take Shingrix?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My mom is 92 years old and in relatively good health, keeps busy and has the mind of a 50 year old. I have been trying to convince her to take Shingrix, especially since she saw what I went through in March with shingles. My question is, is the vaccine ok for someone in that age group?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sandi,

The vaccine is a killed virus, so it is much safer than the live virus vaccines. With Shingrex, many of us had 3 days of a painful arm, chills and sweating, aches and pains, fatigue, and malaise. My thought when having the reaction was my body is mounting an immune response. I planned on doing nothing for those 3 days. The reaction was nothing compared to Shingles, however, which has devastated so many lives. I expected to have a the reaction.

If your Mother is undecided, have her speak to her Physician.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States.

Best Regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hello Merry Juliana,

Did taking the shingdrex vaccine help you in any way? I'm thinking about taking it also as I have recurring shingles.

Thanks MRSATD

• Posted

Hi Mrsatd!

It has been almost 8 weeks since the first of two Shingrex shots. I should have had three incapacitating episodes of Shingles, in which I have a severe headache, earache, difficulty swallowing, and lesions extending from my right ear, throat, mouth, and right scalp to one mild case of no pain and a few lesions 3 weeks after the first immunization. It takes at least 8 weeks for the antibodies to maximize after the second immunization.

The Shingrex is already working well. The Post Herpetic Neuralgia PHN is completely gone, and the recurring Herpes Zoster-Shingles recurred shortly after the first shot, before the antibodies had a chance to muster.

My energy level has skyrocketed, as well.

I still continue to take Vitamin D, as I live on the East Coast in the States, and have low Vitamin D levels in the teens without it.

I strongly recommend it. My reaction wasn't bad, the usual very sore arm, aches and pains, fatigue, malaise, sweating and chills, but nothing compared to Shingles! The reaction informed me my body was reacting positively to the vaccine, ie- making antibodies! After three days, it was over. It was slightly worse than the usual flu or tetanus shot, but not horrible.

When I get the second shot, I shall post the results.

Best Regards,

Keep Us Posted

Merry Juliana

• Posted

In other words,

I haven't had any painful episodes since the first Shingrex immunization, and I still need to have my second immunization. I also had the shot right after an episode, which isn't the best timing, but my episodes come every three weeks. I had no choice

My energy level has dramatically increased, which is is wonderful for me.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

It's best for her medical provider to help make the decision whether your mom should take the shingrix. Best wishes.

• Posted

Her medical provider did recommend it. It's trying to convince my mom to take it that is the issue.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.