9th week...still walking with a stuck

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hey everyone,

Oooh I'm so frustrated....still on my stick!!!

I feel as though I'm doing ok, although extremely slowly!! After my last post, I have started physio sessions (I'm in the UK and really had to fight for these). I'm just unsure if this is actually helping at all?? I'm just wondering what everyone else's view is on this? There seems to be two views..one that physio is definitely needed and another where simply walking is enough to aid recovery. The problem is when I walk my hip feels weak, like it is not ready to support my weight. I have looked in a mirror as I walk and my knee doesn't straighten enough when I push through with my operated side.

I have also started using the exercise bike just for 10 mins a day.

This is my 9th week and while I find myself improving in very small ways, the one thing I really want to improve is walking without a limp. Unfortunately, I walked with a limp for years before I had my op. I feel like a toddler learning to walk all over again. I'm supposed to be returning to work on the 5th Sept, but I'm sure not I'm going to make it at this rate.

Any advice on any of the above would be so grateful.

Hope everyone is doing ok ??

Jacqui xx

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Have you talked to Alexander practitioners? Brilliant for this kind of issue. Paul
  • Posted

Hi Jacqui -- My surgery was June 17 and this Friday will be 9 weeks for me so we are very close in time.  I'm still walking with an aid -- I actually use one crutch when I'm out for longish walks.  Very easy and gives good stability.  I prefer it to the cane/stick really.         But, like you, I still limp without something.  Frustrating.  And that hip still feels weak, too.        Did your Physio give you lots of exercises for strengthening the glutes and quads?  That is what my exercises focus on mostly.    I think we will get there -- still early days.   So hard to be patient!   Hugs,  Leslie

• Posted

Thanks Leslie....yeah I've got all those exercises so will just keep plodding on. Let's check in with each other every day...it might help us xxx

• Posted

Keep up the exercises really help

I have found i just look forward to them as time for me

I try many several times a day at home

When i get up i have some free weights in our room rt after i brush teeth etc

I start work mon at about a month post op and plan to stretch etc in my office daily

Use your phone or ekectronics to motivate your walking and keep posting

We all gain info from each other

• Posted

Let's do that, Jacqui.  Yesterday I walked for almost an hour and I was quite sore after.  I've walked that far before and wasn't sore.  Not sure what that was about.  OK this morning.  My goal today is to do all my Physio exercises, walk for 3-20 minute stints, and to practice balance exercises off of YouTube!  

• Posted

I need to make sure I do the exercises every day, Jo.  I use a FitBit to track my steps -- I have set 5,000 steps as my daily goal.  I often do YouTube videos but I do need a way to keep track of the exercises.  I'll check out some apps -- they do seem to motivate me.

I don't do any stretches because I haven't been shown any and I'm not sure what stretches I can do at this stage.  I feel like I would love to stretch!

I have a dr appt today with my family doctor.  I'm going to ask her about swimming.....I hope I can get the OK to do that....I'm 8.5 weeks out.....I think others here have been swimming at this point.  And when I say "swimming," I mean pool walking, being in the deep end and treading water, etc.

Thanks for the encouragement!      

• Posted

Hi Leslie,

Yes to the going to the pool. My physio said its fine after 8 weeks as long as there are no problems with your scar. I'm interested in the balancing exercises, will check those out!! I've been on a 20 min walk today, was out for longer yesterday so I always take it slightly easier the day after.

J xx

• Posted

Hi Leslie

i am 10 weeks today post op.

i've been 'swimming' , (beached whale on my back flipping my feet up and down and cupping the water ) five mornings a week for the last month. I do all the exercises I can in the pool and walk-water, absolutely love it! Fifteen minutes each day and five minutes in the sauna - lovely smile the sense of freedom and mobility is terrific and I'm sure your GP would say give it a (gentle) go!!

I can also manage  around 8000 steps a day ( approx 4.5k) made up of walks and just pottering around the house. I still use my stick occasional and when I'm tired I do limp, but I'm happy to do it and don't feel I'm failing using an aid.

Start physio Tuesday after much pushing, I hope I haven't done any permanent damage. 

Best of 

of luck- go  water baby xx

• Posted

Thanks, Kate.  I really do look forward to getting into the pool.  You 'swim' like I do!  LOL. And I love the sauna and especially the hot tub.  You're showing great discipline going 5 days a week.  I hope I can do that.  My worst thing about the pool is then having to fix my hair each time!  I normally wash my hair twice a week and have to do little to it in between.  Having to shampoo/style so often will be exhausting!  LOL.  I'll make it work.

I'll let you know what my doctor says.

I just did a 25 minute walk with my crutch.  I do think I overdid it yesterday with an hour.   

Thanks again and enjoy your day.    Hugs,  Leslie

• Posted

Talking of overdoing it, my bum is really sore and my ankles have swollen up today!! Isn't life just great! 

Do let me know how you get on with the doctor and don't worry about your hair, I have a bad hair day most mornings smile 

take care xxx

• Posted

So healous

I cant wait to go plop back into the pool but i am barely 3 weeks post op

I taught water aerobics all summer till surgery

When dies dr give ok to swim?? Is it more about the scar healing and germs??? Heal well be well

Jozie

• Posted

Hi Jozie

didn't start in the pool till after 6 week check up. Obviously breast stroke is a no,no but have patience and you too can become a fellow thrasher! It is lovely though and tomorrow my daughter is coming with me which is also great. 

Onwards and upwards, keep safe xx

• Posted

Good advice, Kate!

I got the OK from the doctor to go swimming!  Yea!  Busy tomorrow but will go on Friday.  Can't wait

Also got the OK to start rubbing Bio Oil or something similar on my incision....though it sort of gives me the creeps to touch it.  Feels weird.  I'll have to see how that goes.......

Splish Splash!

• Posted

Morning Leslie smile

great at news about the swimming, as for oils, I use Palmers skin therapy oil every day and my scar is looking pretty good for an old bird like me! Don't be freaked out - it's your body 

have be a great day xx

• Posted

Morning Jacqui I'm 6.5 post op and still using crutches I also walked with limb for long time I've noticed I'm still standing with my op leg bent at

knee as before op have to think about standing properly .

I also are having to fight for physio as told by hospital they don't give post op hip replacement patients physio WHAT .

I go back to see consultant today and will see what he says about it .

I feel like I have rocks in my bum/thigh area and sore/ tender around scar it will just be good to speak to someone just to tell you that's OK thes things are normal.

Don't you think it's quite a wait from having your

op to actually seeing consultant again.

I'm worried about work as well I work 5hours Monday threw Fri and climb roughly 400 step plus

each morn plus carry heavy hoover I can't see me doing it not in 12 weeks I don't want to undo all

the hard work we put in.

Anyway lots of hugs for now from the U.K😕

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.