9th week...still walking with a stuck

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hey everyone,

Oooh I'm so frustrated....still on my stick!!!

I feel as though I'm doing ok, although extremely slowly!! After my last post, I have started physio sessions (I'm in the UK and really had to fight for these). I'm just unsure if this is actually helping at all?? I'm just wondering what everyone else's view is on this? There seems to be two views..one that physio is definitely needed and another where simply walking is enough to aid recovery. The problem is when I walk my hip feels weak, like it is not ready to support my weight. I have looked in a mirror as I walk and my knee doesn't straighten enough when I push through with my operated side.

I have also started using the exercise bike just for 10 mins a day.

This is my 9th week and while I find myself improving in very small ways, the one thing I really want to improve is walking without a limp. Unfortunately, I walked with a limp for years before I had my op. I feel like a toddler learning to walk all over again. I'm supposed to be returning to work on the 5th Sept, but I'm sure not I'm going to make it at this rate.

Any advice on any of the above would be so grateful.

Hope everyone is doing ok ??

Jacqui xx

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Jacqui

im in the UK and had to go private with Westfield to get some physio. I'm 7 months post op and have had to keep skiing for a nerve conduction test on my foot, which I think the problem is nerve damage. All I keep getting from them is that it is too soon to tell.

Eventually they have agreed to send me and I'm waiting for an appointment.

Hope you have some luck, they tell me it takes 9-12 months to heal.

All the Best Brenda C

• Posted

I think we definitely need physio help - I found proper 'hands on' sports physio best. We need someone who knows about the human body to look at the way we stand and walk to help us correct our faults.

I was lucky, I had phusio from the hospital, my own private physio for my bad shoulder (rotator cuff muscles), and another physio supplied by my employer to help my long-term walking when the NHS support ended.

Exercise bike helped me as does my pushbike - I cycled 10 miles at the weekend - but even at nearly 10 months I still limp when tired, especially after a day of work and when commuting back home.

• Posted

I am tempted to buy an exercise bike.  I think it is something I would use lots in the winter -- rainy Victoria winter, not necessarily cold but lots of rain.  I could pedal while watching tv.       Do you/anyone have any recommendations for a good bike?  I'm in a condo with limited space.  A big fear is I'll buy a bike and then hate it -- not finding it comfortable.  Thanks for any feedback.    Leslie

• Posted

We have a large-ish Reebok RB3000 bike, and as you say, is great for when the weather is nasty outside, we can still have a ride without getting wet.  I found it on Ebay, cheap enough but it was quite a thing to collect in the car.
    • Posted

Hi Lesley I'm in the U. k and I have a set of exercise peddles they don't take up any room store under bed or in cupboard ,just a thought .

Hugs from England xxx

• Posted

So Sorry wish I could help. 7 weeks no limp and no stick, even put on own socks and walking boots this week. Please keep asking for help. 

Watch out there is a massive amount of healing fairy dust comming your way !  🌟💫⭐️

• Posted

Hi Jacquie, sounds like your doing good but don't rush going back to work. Does take while to recover at least good year to get back. Walking is the best keep up good work. If you sit at work that might be ok.

Good luck

Jackie

• Posted

Why is it in the UK,  you guys/gals have to wait so long for physical therapy ??  It seems kind of backwards to wait so long after THR !!

In the United States, we usually start physical therapy 2-3 days after THR !!

Good Luck to all !!!  biggrincheesygrin

• Posted

Hi Rich, I'm in US had to wait to do physical therapy because I couldn't put weight on my leg for 6wks. So I think it's just case by case depending the person recovery. After 6wks was up I did physical therapy for about 4months. Walking is always good

Take care

Jackie

• Posted

I stand corrected !!  I hope your recovery goes well !!!

biggrincheesygrin

• Posted

It seems to be very patchy, depending on the hospital.  I am in the UK and had two bad (failed) operations, but great physio .......... 

Someone else had the same surgeonand hospital as me, had no problems at all.

Another friend used the same hospital, and was offered no physio until she demanded it.

Why it's so random I just don't know

Graham

• Posted

That is very strange about the differences in the physio in the same hospital.

Obviously, having professional physio is much better than Youtube or whatever !

biggrincheesygrin

• Posted

Pysical therapy a must

They watch how you move

Give you exercises u must do

I am 3 weeks post up exercising several times daily and now walking with stick almost 2 miles

I feel leg strength changing bet i need cane for month more good luck

Try new stuff each day

J

• Posted

That is great 2 miles at 3 weeks !

If you remember, I am 3 weeks as well.   I can not walk 3 miles yet.

I have already gotten rid of my cane, unless, I am walking somewhere with uneven sidewalks/streets.

biggrincool

• Posted

Cane gone

I am super jealous🌞🌞🌞🌞

I start work monday

I am an adoloescent speech path with fridge in my office and handicapped plaqurad

Less walking

I overdid it today uphill in neighborhood

So thats that

Keep me posted and sleep as well as u can🙋🙋🌞🌞🌞✅jozie

• Posted

No work for me until at least the middle of Sept.  I deliver the mail.  The last THR I had the surgeon said all precautions for 7 weeks, this time he told my wife 12 weeks post surgery ??  I will talk him at my 6 week check up and find out what the deal is. Same surgeon.

My sleep is just about normal, thankfully !  I am using the handicap placard, sometimes.

Of course, I am extremely bored !!

Have fun at work !!!  cheesygrin

• Posted

Super progress Jozie.

I agree entirely re PT - we need some  supervision to check positioning during our exercises, to adjust the mix or flow of them and to add others for issues that inevitably crop up. Not to mention they help motivate us and vet other issues that make us anxious for nothing.

Keep up the great work.

L

• Posted

Hi Jo -- I was a speech path too!  Retired about 6 years ago.  I worked with some adolescents but mostly Grades kdg-5.  Great career.   I must say I would have found it difficult to go back to work.  Tons of walking between therapy room and classrooms.  Plus, working with the smaller kids I was always in those little chairs.  Ugh.   Hope it's easier for you -- take it easy and keep us posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.