A 10 year sufferer

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all. I've just joined this forum as reading some of your stories has actually helped with my own anxiety. I've suffered for around 10 yrs and all kicked off with my wife losing our baby at 20 weeks into her pregnancy. Then a few weeks after she was rushed into a and e with a massive blood loss. Transfusions and a week in hospital. Ive always been a strong person but allowed this to bring me down with a huge thump. Ever since I've had attacks some regular and intense and some minor and many months apart. I was convinced I had a heart problem and got it checked out and all came back clear. That's when I was told I was an anxiety and panick attack sufferer. My main symptoms are heart racing palpertations irregular heart beat. Dizziness and just generally feeling very odd to the point of not being able to explain it. I learnt to live with it and kinda got on with my life by taking main control of it. Being reassured by my doc that my heart is fit and strong usually puts my mind back in control but just in the last week I've hit rock bottom again. My heart has been erratic and has made me feel very scared and anxious for a week with only a few mins here and there of relief. I convinced myself that this was it. My final short time left before my heart gave up. I checked into my docs just last night as I needed that reassurance again. Pulse check heart listening and blood pressure did reveal there was a heart misbehaving so instantly had an ecg which showed nothing major but irregular beating. Again slightly reassured it was only anxiety rearing its ugly head again. This time I requested some drugs to calm my mind down from over thinking as my heart had been behaving like this for almost a week. A few diazepam later its eased off and chilled me out but it's still not totally right. Your mind is the most powerful machine in the world and if you allow it to take control you will struggle to get it back. Take it from me Im a professional sufferer of this and still allow it to get the better of me. Let's all face 1 fact if we had a serious heart problem we would be six feet under in a few weeks when we look back at the point of feeling better. So my advice to you all is every time you think your about to drop down with heart failure just think about how times you have been there befor and are still here telling your next story. Anxiety is so powerful you find it near on impossible to believe your not dying. Train your mind as best you can and it will improve but will never go away completely. Good luck to every one of you and stay calm

3 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for sharing, you will be. able to hep many people on here xx
    • Posted

I hope so Linda. Although I do need a bit of help and reassurance myself sometimes. Especially this particular down time x
  • Posted

Thanks for sharing, I can definitely relate to how you feel especially as a lot of my anxiety also started when my wife lost our baby at 28 weeks. Hope you feel better soon, it's define toy a hard journey
  • Posted

Thank you for sharing! I have been dealing with anxiety for over a year after I had my son but lately it has been worse! My brother in law passed away at age 23 tragically and a week later my granpa to cancer so I've had it rough! My heart has also been doing weird things like palpitations, and chest pain which is so scary I'm only 22, but like you said heart problems don't linger so I have been here before and been checked by a cardiologist but I still can't convince myself it's anxiety!
    • Posted

I was like that too Kelsey. I just didn't accept that a a mind could have such devastating power over a body. I believed if my heart was misbehaving then surely there's a problem. But I've read many books and made myself understand the true power of our minds and together with the anxiety they can cause havoc on the body. It's all down to your body reacting to your subconscious mind. I do a very physical jobs where I'm carry heavy goods up and down stairs all day everyday now if I had an underlying heart problem id be six foot under now. But I'm not so that's 1 of the things I think about when I get an attack. We are powerful in our own right and sometimes don't even know why we are anxious. But our minds do but just don't tell us !!!!! Think positive and believe your going to be here after your next attack to tell the story. Keep calm. Chris X
    • Posted

Was wondering if you could tell me a few good books to read on anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.