A 14 Year Old Needs To Lose Some...

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just turned 15 on Jan 3rd. I am 5'4 and 170 lbs. I am damn near obese, but I do not look like it. I gain weight mostly on my belly, my upper back and up to the back of my neck.

My family has cleaned up since my parents had me very young and did not lead healthy lifestyles. My dad got a job at a health store, and has worked there for about 8 years. They've made great progress, but I have not.

I have been struggling with weight my entire life and I still do. Since I was 6 my dad started cooking more greens and white meat, some carbs, but not excessive. I drink as much water as I can, but I can't drink up to the recommended amount without getting sick. I have a slow metabolism, it seems.

I would get help for my medical and physical factors of weight gain, but my parents are too stubborn to get me professional help.

I want to look much less like how I do now before college in three and a half years. I want to take better care of myself.

I have some questions.

- How can I get motivated?

- What exercises would be good for optimal fat loss?

- How can I train myself up to drinking enough water?

- Would me being younger affect how long it takes to lose?

-How would I improve my stamina?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello

Well done for wanting to get fitter now. ... it is absolutely true that it gets harder as you get older.

As for your parents being 'stubborn'  I often wonder why parents would ever elect to put their children through medical procedures. .. so I get that.

This is about you, your emotional connection to good and your values.  Believe  me I've been there done it for the t-shirt.   See if you can find a mindful eating course ... that really helps you think before eating... just momentarily. ..  but really makes you think about why you are going to eat or drink something.  So ... we form habits .. e.g.  going to the cinema many people get a coke and popcorn.  Why?  Do you want the popcorn?  Or is it just habit?  This isn't about telling you not to have anything ... it just empowers you to make concious choices.

Water .... hard innit?  I can't do it either.  Try not to gulp down a litre of water a couple of times a day ... try instead to carry water with you.  Take a few sips every half hour or so.   When you get a hunger pang ... try some water  ... sometimes we think we are hungry when actually we are thirsty.   Drink half a glass of water before meals ... it will help to fill you so you eat less too...  win win.

Good luck. .. I'm sure that you'll get where YOU want to be.

Kate

• Posted

Thank you so much, Kate, I appreciate the response. It's been hard for me to control my eating habits because it's how I sometimes deal with stress or boredom. I'll keep water on me at nearly all times now!

• Posted

Ahhh ... me too.   I used to get up and walk to the biscuit tin when I was struggling with something at work.  This is where the mindful eating comes in.  It will help you to think about why you are putting food in your mouth at any time ... are you really hungry?  does your body need fuel?  is it comfort?  is it because you have seen it?   You can also find alternative ways to comfort yourself, ease your stress.  One thing that helped me was to write down 3 things that you can do instead of eating when rewarding yourself - stressed - happy - on a day to the park - at a party.  What else makes you feel good?   for example (I am a lot older so this may not be relevant to you, but you can find something) to reward myself I buy flowers, which is FAR better than a 3 minute bar of chocolate, I had the flowers for a week.  Stressed, I listen to music.  

Try thinking of those times, and write down what you will do differently.

Kate

• Posted

Well done for making the first steps at the new you. 

Is there a gym that you can join?  They could help you find a programme that would suit you and be helpful. 

As said before just take some water with you and have sips every so often rather than making yourself drink it down fast and in quantity. 

Just focus on why you are wanting to lose the weight and set a goal that you want to achieve so that it gives you something to focus on.

• Posted

Thanks for the compliment.

However, not enough time for a gym every day. Wake up at 6, School till 3, Babysitting till 6, dinner, bed, repeat.

However the motivational portion will be very helpful, thank you!

• Posted

Maybe you could do some "fun" exercises when babysitting.  The kids you look after might enjoy it.  Even a walk or the park could be good and all goes towards exercising. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.