A big day.... prescribed Citalopram

Posted , 3 users are following.

After struggling along for about 6-8mths I plucked up the courage to visit my GP this morning. After telling her about how I'm feeling and asking for help she prescribed me 10mg's of Citalopram - take this for 1 wk then increase to 20mg. She's booked me in for blood tests and has referred me to a councilor. I was felt relieved when I left the practice, I can now begin to find myself and get myself back to my old self.

Like most people.. I wanted to do some research on the drug before I start to take it - this forum was the 3rd google hit - so here I am.

I can't say I've seen anything massively positive about Citalopram - can anyone give me any encouraging words?

A little bit about why I’m here.

I had a baby a year ago, since I’ve just been getting on being a new mum and dealing with stuff day to day. For months now it’s been noted that I’ve lost my personality, I’ve become seriously stressed and very anxious – about almost everything!!! My interest in sex has gone away – totally! This is obviously causing problems in my relationship. My memory and concentration is terrible, don’t ask me to make any decisions. I had a panic attack a week ago – the 1st ever – it was terrible! I’ve lost all interest in normal activities, I have no energy and feel lazy! I’m losing my self confidence, it’s getting worst daily! I’m even making excuses not to see people!

I didn’t know whether it was post natal depression or early signs of the menopause (runs in the family) – hence the blood tests I’m doing.

So there you have it – I’m worried after reading a few posts.

Any words of encouragement?

Thanks

Tanya

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there Tanya & welcome to PUKE

Congratulations on the birth of your baby and an even bigger congratulations on taking the first step (hardest step) in seeking help for your illness.

Be it post natal depression, early menopause or sheer exhaustion that is causing your illness Citalopram will hopefully help you on the road to recovery.

Please don't be alarmed at all the negative posts with regards to Citalopram. The main reason for them being here is because a few people have experienced sever side effects when first starting them.

There must be 100's of people out there that take them with minimum side effects and also helped them recover from this terrible demon we all know as depression.

Think about it - how many times do we write a letter consisting of praise for something, either something we have bought or a service we have used?

Us humans are very good at complaining though LOL so of course we are going to read more negatives than positives. :shock:

Just take things easy and don't expect to wake in a day or 2 feeling fully recovered. These things can take weeks, months or even longer.

Try and stay strong, remember any feelings you have are more than probably a side effect of the tablet and not your illness getting worse.

Maybe the side effects are a way of telling our body we need to slow down and allow it the time to rest and recover.

Wishing all the best on your road to recovery.

Keep posting here - it really does help to talk about our feelings.

Melbi x

• Posted

Hi

I'm on citalopram for anxiety/work related stress and my sister after having her second child, if you can work through the side effects, which can be unpleasant and takes time, you will definately benefit from this type of medication and feel better.

The doctor should monitor your progress with this type of medication and if you are unhappy you can either change it or stop.

I hope this give you some sort of reasurance that it will be ok.

m x

• Posted

Hi Tanya, Like you I find myself in need of help and have been perscribed Citalopram. Also starting with 10mg and increasing to 20mg after 2 weeks. Also like you I am afraid of the negative post but intend to trust the process, and the doctor. I have a lot of friends who are very supportive and have told me to keep in close contact with them and let them know how I am feeling. I hope you have the same support. Best regards.
  • Posted

Hi Tanya - Well done on making that first step. It shows you are a strong person and you know how to do the right thing. A lot of people in your situation are afraid to ask for help and just plod on until it gets a lot worse. I taught parenting classes for years and always started by saying that parenting is the hardest thing you will ever do in your life- but the most rewarding! Babies don't come with instructions so how could first time parents even begin to know what to do? Instinct - basic instinct! And that's what has prompted you to ask for help today. I can feel how exhusted you are and yes these tablets will make you more sleepy for the first week or two but go with the flow and try to give in to the tiredness. Hard, I know with a new baby. The first thing you need to do is to get your partner on board - that took away the guilt I felt at not keeping up with all the day to day things. Have you got any other help? A mum, sister of friend who could have the baby to let you sleep at the same time every day? If you manage to set up a system to allow you to get some rest at the same time everyday -DON'T- try to use that time to catch up with housework! Go straight to bed and SLEEP! I hope you have had the result of blood tests back and this will give you some peace of mind, whether it is menopause (phew exhaustion! tell me about it!) or baby blues. There is always HOPE and hopefully this phase in your life will be short lived. Good luck and take care. XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.