A bit of advice about a sick note and depression

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi all

iv been signed of for the last two weeks by my gp for anxiety and depression. I'm due to go for an apoitment to see my dr on Monday to talk about where we go from here. I'm feeling a little bit worse then I did two weeks ago so I'm thinking he will prescribe some antidepressants or recommend some other form of treatment. My question is could he sign me off for 6 weeks this time rather then two? I ask this because I don't feel able to go back to work yet and find being signed off for shorter periods causes me real anxiety and uncertainty. I also have Asperger's syndrome and OCD which don't help me in this regard, Iv also had a very traumatic year me,my wife list our baby back in July which has caused me to fall into this depression. I just want to get better and more stable and start back at work so n the new year a fresh. Any advice would be very welcome thank you

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes. If you discuss everything with your GP, it is possible to be signed off for a further 6 weeks. I was once signed off work for 12 weeks by my GP
  • Posted

Hello Krogan. My name is Diane. First let me say how very sorry I am that you and your wife lost your baby. I am sure that you are depressed and that your wife is also in pain. As far as being signed off for as long as 6 weeks I think when you go in on Monday to talk to your doctor you need to tell him what you have told us that you get more anxious with being signed off shorter periods. And let him know just how depressed you are over the loss of your baby. Please keep us posted. We care. Diane 
  • Posted

I am sorry to hear about your struggles.

Yes, your Doctor can definitely give you a note for a longer time frame. Be very specific with him/her about your needs and why you would feel better if he signed you off for the longer time as opposed to a shorter time. I think that anyone would understand your pain.

Please take good care of yourself and wife.We care about you .

Blessings and virtual hugs to you both..........

• Posted

Sweetheart, you're already thinking about starting the new year afresh and with positivity. That's a great start and something to hold onto, for sure. Sometimes we find it hard to be honest with our GP but as you know, they are our answer to life's immediate concerns, especially sick notes. The others are right, and if you can you need to explain it to your doc exactly as you have to us, that you could do with a few consecutive weeks off in order to feel completely better.

All the best Krogan x

• Posted

Thank you everybody for replying, my gp seems like a nice person he was very supportive on the phone call I had with him. I guess I was just worried that if I asked for 6 weeks in one go he might think I was just chancing it for time off! Iv got my apoitment at 8.30 on Monday so il let you all know how it goes! Thanks again 
  • Posted

Good Krogan.  Please do let us know what the doctor say. Good luck. Diane

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.