A bit of advice please!

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been on 20 mg of Citalopram for over a year now for generalised anxiety. Along with CBT it's worked brilliantly for me and my life is great! This morning though I was involved in a minor bump in my car, my anxiety is sky high again and I'm terrified that's the anxiety back! Is this going to happen to me every time that something stressful happens to me? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there.

i can't answer that question but it is something I've thought about.

ive been on cit for nearly 3 months and it worked well for my anxiety about about 4 weeks, had 2 good weeks and then got my monthlies and it all went downhill from there on! I also had a health scare in the middle of it which didn't help. I have just increased to 30 mg from 20mg and my anxiety has sky rocketed again.

did you have increased anxiety when first starting cit?  X

• Posted

When I first started my first fortnight or so at 10mg was horrendous, my anxiety was worse than it had ever been and I ended up in A&E with a full on panic attack! Fortunately this settled down & I haven't looked back until now. I didn't suffer any side effects when I increased from 10mg to 20 mg though x

• Posted

It's  weird isn't it?! . I think with you it's probably a bit of shock to your system. I would leave it a few days for the shock to wear off and see how you feel then. We must remember that everyone has anxious moments and this is probably one of them xx

• Posted

I think you're right Debbie, I'm actually feeling better tonight already. I just live in fear of it all coming back and had a major panic when those familiar feelings turned up again this morning x

• Posted

I know what you mean, when I had my two great weeks and then got it again, couldn't believe it, was so gutted! I'm sure my problem now is the increase as it's the same side effects as when I started so will wait it out! Glad you're feeling better tonight and don't worry about the car, that can be fixed xx

• Posted

Just hang in there - you'll get more & more great weeks before you know it x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.