A bit of humour

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi folks, had to share this.I've just been cast as Mistress QUICKLY in the Merry Wives of Windsor. I'll be the slowest Quickly that has ever played it.cheesygrin Just hope I've speeded up by April.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Carol

that made me smile 

but it's great for you it will give you something to work for 

can't you re-name the character ...mistress ...quick quick ...slowly ....lolbiggrin

• Posted

What a great idea, though I don't think Shakespeare would be amused. Thgen again,with his fondness for playing on words he probably would. lol I am looking forward to it.Just a few weeks ago I wouldn't have dreamed I could do it. I can't believe how fast I'm recovering now. When I look back to all the tears and pain in September it seems a world away.Just hope it gives cheer to some of the 'newbies' on here.
    • Posted

How many weeks post op are you? 

And it's great that you are getting on with your life 

pall the best 

Jean 

• Posted

Had to work it out so that shows it's not ruling my life any more. Well.only some days. rolleyes I'm ten plus 3. Having a few tingles now that are new, a little like electric shocks, but I think that's the nerves healing.Still numb on the side of the knee but I've had that for years anyway. Over all I'm glad I had it done. 
    • Posted

You are doing great for 10 weeks plus and you are so right ...not to let this op rule your life

i will try to keep that thought in mind 

Jean 

• Posted

I don't know - a friend of mine who was over 70 when he had the op was skiing 4 months after his first TKR and just 3 months after the second!

Hope there's an opportunity to flash a bit of leg ;-)

Well done!!!

• Posted

Well I've still a couple of years to reach 70 and I feel a lot younger even if the mirror shows I've aged a bit the last few months! I'll only be showing ankles which is good as my knee is still twice as big as the other one. Can't imagine skiing though. He sounds great.
    • Posted

Both times he was in tears after his first run of the holiday. The second time he had a rough post-op with an infection so when he arrived for his holiday he had packed a VERY thick biography of a physicist (can't remember who, Fermi I think) in case he couldn't manage. He went off on his own to a beginners run where he could buy just single runs on the lift and he could get back home even if he got stuck at the top of the run. He got to the bottom - and went off to buy a proper ticket! He doesn't do anything like as much, especially as his wife is getting less able to ski, but he can still manage.
    • Posted

I thought skiing was one of the things not to be undertaken after a TKR?

• Posted

I'm told that it is OK if you have been skiing for years and your muscles are used to it. It probably isn't something to decide to take up post TKR. 

The Knee Society site says:

"Cycling is an excellent aerobic workout.Calisthenics, swimming, low-resistance rowing, stationary skiing machines, walking, hiking, and low-resistance weight lifting all are excellent ways to maintain fitness without overstressing the implant.

Suitable activities include bowling, croquet, golf, doubles tennis, table tennis, ballroom dancing and square dancing. 

Other activities that are suitable but slightly more risky include downhill skiing, scuba diving, in-line skating, ice skating, softball, volleyball, speed walking, horseback riding, hunting and low-impact aerobics."

I think it has a lot to do where you live and what the surgeons are used to. In Germany, Austria and here in northern Italy they encourage you to do a lot more things than the average UK surgeon will think of. Mind you - the post op rehab is far more intense than in the UK and in Germany you go home for a short time before spending several weeks (as long as needed) in a residential rehab clinic. Everyone is covered to a similar level as in the UK but what is on offer is rather different!

• Posted

It sounds fantastic...... the rehab you are offered I suppose skiing isn't a sport that's widely used in the UK ...but please don't take my word for that as I live nowhere near a ski slope...it was just that I noticed it in a leaflet that I had 

as you say if it's something you have always done then I guess there isn't a problem.

I'm not thinking of taking the sport up...I'll just continue with the exercises to get my life back

• Posted

Skiing won't be on my list but ballroom dancing is something I promised myself before the op Not sure I'm up to the twists and turns yet but hopefully next year I;ll be able to do it. Bowling is out because of my back and anyway I'm useless at it.frown

• Posted

Go for it ....I wish I'd learned to dance when I was younger 
    • Posted

So do I Jean. It was only rock.n roll and twist when I was younger. That's why I want to do it now. I always say though that only we oldies know how to jive and most of us are past it now. Need something more grown uo now!
    • Posted

I went for ballroom dancing lessons a few years ago ..as I was off on a cruise....it nearly killed me ... so I just decided to sit/ watch and admire ...and my bad knee came in handy as an excuse not to accept a dance ...lol
    • Posted

When I lived in Scotland it was a 45 min drive to the nearest slope but I only went twice, the weather was pants and I decided it wasn't worth the effort! Here it is a 5 min drive - and the weather is usually rather better. Wasn't last year - snowed every 3rd day so there was never nice packed powder. And so far this year we haven't got ANY snow!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.