A bit worried

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there, I'm new to the board.  I was told yesterday that I needed a TAH BOS  - this after an incidental finding of a 9.3 cm mass in my pelvis after a spinal MRI for leg discomfort.  Ultrasound confirmed the mass on my right ovary.  They are querying dermoid cyst but until it's removed and histology done, they can't offer definitive diagnosis.  So, after the Ultrasound I was referred to gynae under 2 week rule and was seen yesterday.  Because of the size of it I was told it had to be removed via open surgery, not laparoscopically.  Also because of my age (47) and the fact that I would be going through menopause in a few years probably, they didn't feel they wanted to leave the other ovary as it may have led to complicatios further down the line, meaning more surgery.  The upshot is I've been listed for TAH BOS.  This will be done in next few weeks.  So no time to think about it, no time to digest it all and I'm petrified.  I've never had surgery of any kind.  Instant surgical menopause - HRT - increased risk of breast cancer?  No risk of cervical cancer as they're taking the cervix - taking the lot.  I don't know how I feel - I feel as though I'm on a high speed train rushing through every station at 100mph and I can't stop and think.  It's gone from leg ache to mass on MRI to ultrasound to 2 week rule appt to listing for surgery.  I'm on my own with my 15 year old son. I hate the thought of being so reliant for however long, not being able to drive, having to have several months off work - the recovery is daunting - surgery is terrifying.  I think I just need reassurance about the op, recovery, advice on what I can't do?  Many thanks for your help and advice.  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had 2 fibroid one the size of a water melon plus an ovarian cyst. I had my op on 1st April. You will need at least 6 weeks off work and provided you take it easy with No driving or housework your recovery will be fine. I was terrified but the consultant was amazing and I came home after 2 days. Do your shopping on line and prepare a hospital drawer in the freezer to make life easy. It is a big operation but I'm about to go back full time after a phased return to work
  • Posted

Hi Angela, I'm 62 and had the same op 5wks ago . I'd never been in hospital before, but like you under the 2 wk rule I was seen and put on the list. I have heart failure and Diabetes and wondered if I would survive the opperation. It's not as frightening as you expect, sure it is a major opperation but you will be well looked after. I was in 5 days in total, take nighties not pj's cause you will have a catheter in for a short time and I took oil of peppermint capsules 1 x 3 day for wind which you will no doubt get, other than that dont be in a rush to get back to normal and if you do as they say you will be fine .

Best of luck let us know how you get on. Sue x

• Posted

Hi. I had same removed ovaries, womb, cervix all by lap op 7 weeks ago and I'm 40. It's a big op but nowhere as near bad as was I'm my mind. Having the op is fine I promise. You fall asleep and next minute you're waking up and it's done. The first weeks you will need support but it gets easier quite quickly if you do what you're meant to. My menopause symptoms are controlled by livial as I can't have proper hrt. I'm sure that will be discussed. My ovary had 20cm cyst which turned out that I was riddled all over in endometriosis. Good luck with op
  • Posted

Hi Angela

I really sympathise about feeling rushed into someting, but my own experience is that I had TAH, BSO and cervix removed on January 28, and am now absolutely fine and back at full time work. I took 2 years to decide to have the op because I really didn't want major surgery or an immediate menopause at 52, and didn't have a life threatening reason to, but did have a very large fibroid and endometriosis, and finally got so fed up with having so much pain, anaemia etc that I went ahead, despite being very nervous. I was in hospital for 4 days, it was painful for a few days but not too bad. I was really glad to have someone cooking for me at home for the first 2 weeks, after that it was OK provided I didn't do too much, and I did start walking a little bit, round the block etc at home after about a week. It is a major op, and based on my experience I'd say you have to be patient and resign yourself to the fact that it may take weeks of feeling tired, odd sensations, some pain etc but you do start feeling much better eventually! I can't have hrt because of endometriosis but menopause hasn't been too dramatic for me, some night sweats and very occasional hot flushes but OK. All in all, it was a bit tough at times but now I'm absolutely fine and glad I had it. The anticipation was much worse than the reality. Good luck and take care.

Julie

• Posted

Hello Angela. I am new here too, just reading around, but thought you sounded very frightened, so have popped in to say how it went for me. I had the same....went to my Doc to have a new Merina coil fitted - she found an *abdominal mass*. Ultrasound scan that was inconclusive, so had an MRI. Was on the two week rule thing as well. MRI came back with a cyst "the size of a baby's head" in the words of my consultant, and some fibroids. If you can, the biggest help will be to make meals you can freeze, and do lots of them. I hope to goodness you will get some help, because you MUST NOT do very much in those first two weeks.....except get some walking in. Walking stimulates blood flow to the healing wounds, and gets you back on track quicker. Don't lift anything heavier than a kettle with two cupfuls of water in it. Change all the beds and do all the washing a couple of days before you go in. Don't lift, push or pull. It really isn't worht it.

Anyway....my op appointment came up very quick - cancellation - and on a saturday too. You don't know anything about the operation....you go to sleep...and it feels like 5 minutes later, all done. They don't keep you in long - if all is ok, they get you on your feet as soon as they can, make sure you can walk about, go for a wee ok, take a bowel movement, and then off you go. Usually within a day or two. Rest often. Eat food that will keep you regular! Take everything slow. Get in and out of bed with both legs together. I found a pillow under my knees helps take the strain off my back and stomach. Crikey, so much to remember, and I only had this done three weeks ago! Ask anything, and we will try to help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.