A Cause of Ménière's Disease

Posted , 6 users are following.

I first came to this sight quite a while ago looking for information on Ménière's disease causation. Some history: I am a USAF veteran, separated in 1984, who has developed Ménière's progressively over the years. I worked around jet aircraft continually and repeatedly for many years. I was applying for a VA pension claiming Ménière's was service related and the VA denied my claim. I am now appealing the decision. When I first came to the site, I was seeking information on whether exposure to jet aircraft noise could lead to Ménière's. The so-called experts who responded definitively stated that Ménière's is not caused by aircraft noise because the etiology is unknown. I went away discouraged and set out to find answers. In the several months since I started, I found a few studies from around the world, involving both civilian and military personnel, finding that, indeed, acoustic trauma (specifically exposure to frequent jet noise) can indeed lead to Ménière's up to 20 years after the exposure. I then went and reviewed case law from the Department of veterans affairs appeals board and found many cases where denials were reversed and service-related for Ménière's was awarded. I found a law firm that handled many such cases successfully. They are now representin me in my appeal. If anyone coming to this site finds themselves so situated, I will be happy to share the results of my worship.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for your service Barry.  I had an ex wife that was loud and screamed a lot when frustrated and I swear it triggered mine I used to cover my ears

Good luck to you!

• Posted

Barry, my husband also worked around jets and helicopters.  He was on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier.  He's service connected for bi-lateral hearing loss and tinnitis.  Claim was denied for his meniere's disease.  Can you please send me the name of the representative you are using.  Thanks.

• Posted

Ginny,

The name of the law firm is Chisholm Chisholm and Kilpatrick out of Rhode Island. The are on facebook with some fantastic daily updates.

I strongly encourage you to contact them. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Barry...forgot to ask... Can you give me an idea of how much they charge for this service?  Thanks.
    • Posted

They di not charge an hourly rate. Their pay is 20% of any back benefits owed + expenses.
  • Posted

Can I ask how your appeal turned out? I am seeking a similar route as you. I am previous Navy and am SC for Tinnitus and Hearing Loss. I was diagnosed with Meniere's in 2011. I had endolymphatic sac decompression surgery in 2012 and continue to have Meniere's attacks as well as vestibular Migraines 3-4 times per week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.