A change in my body’s reaction to vodka

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have drank vodka as my drink of choice since I began going out drinking at age 15 (I am 30 now) I worked abroad over numerous summers as a rep so drank an extremely large amount of vodka, resulting in my vomit the following day sometimes having blood in it and often vomiting just clear or yellow bile. After a few year my hangovers became so bad I feel ill for days. So that’s the background (incase it is linked to my current issue)

Now, when I wake up after drinking vodka the previous night, the glands in my neck under my lower jaw bone are extremely painful and swollen (the lymph nodes I think?) and I have a sore throat. This lasts about a week. My body also aches and I just feel groggy and headachy for days. On a couple of occasions I have drank gin instead of vodka and barely have a hangover. (Obviously I will in future just drink gin, I don’t drink very often now anyway)

I’m just curious is there a reason why my neck and throat etc flare up when I’ve consumed vodka?

I’ve googled it and apparently you can not be intolerent or allergic to only vodka, only to ALL alcohol... which is not the case for me. I would just like answers as to why my body reacts so badly to vodka, and if it’s anything I should worry about. 

Also my mother has to be regularly checked for non-hodgkins lymphoma and her lymph nodes are prone to swelling.

Thankyou

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello Jill

You need to meet with an Alcohol Treatment Service  or GP because your physical conditions show a level of use that needs support - what is equally important (or more so) is the psychological support with all of this - I’m not coming from a place of judgement, I’m coming from a place of honesty and understanding. I am a professional working in the field of Substance Misuse with a problem of my own right now. I hope you get the best support going - you are worth it - and there is good support out there. Wishing you all the best. 

• Posted

Good reply and do seek medical advice and support. Looks dangerous to me how you vomit. Great that you are being totally honest.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.