A change in my Thyroxine medication has left me feeling ill

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 54 years old, I was diagnosed 5 years ago with underactive Thyroid, & have been px 50MCG of Levothyroxine supplied by manufacturer Actavis.  Earlier this year I was feeling unwell & suspected my Thyroid was out of balance, a test showed this was the case & I was advised to take a further 25MCG of Thyroxine, which I noted was a different manufacturer Wockhardt.  I have been unwell, gradually getting worse, feeling exhausted, stiffness all over my body, worse in neck & back, muscular cramps in my back, especially in bed, feeling bloated all of the time, swollen stomach, craving for carbs, & really struggling with my weight, my mood plummeted, feeling anxious, & unable to retain information.  I made appt with my GP,  as I felt my physical condition is affecting my mood, though I am not a regular attender, I was left to feel I had wasted her time, she told me tests suggested my Thyroid levels were back to normal, whatever that is!, & she suggested that my aches & pains were normal & what you should expect when you reach 50!!, & that it was my mood affecting my physical condition. she suggested I lose weight & take up Pilates, I dont disagree with her advise, but felt totally dismissed.  I have reduced my dose back to 50MCG, as worried about side effect the higher dose was having &  the effect it is having on my job.  I have read about NDT (natural desicated Thyroid), & am considering trying this, as now feel totally let down by GP.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have only been on levothyroxine since xmas 6 months now, I was first on 50mcg and during that time I had an attack of what the doc said was vertigo, I felt dreadful disorientated all the time, then I was put on 100mcg and felt slightly better but just wanted my old self back again.I still felt all over the place, then I read taking the levo at night was better, I tried it and I can honestly say I do feel a lot better now. My recent blood test was good so no change in the medication. I hope every day I get back to feeling 100% normal so far I would say I am 75%. I have read on here that vitamin D deficiency has a lot to do with how people feel on levothyroxine and will mention that to my doctor next time I go as I believe they can check you out for that. I do swim and do aqua aerobics twice a week and I find this helps to keep me supple. At the age of 50 your body is probably going through the menopause and this may have a lot to do with your symptoms as eostrogen levels fall greatly during this time.I do feel for you, I was told to eat Burgens bread and evening primrose oil when I was your age. If it were me I would go back to your doctor and tell her you are not at all well and make her do more tests. They get paid enough after all. Good Luck......
  • Posted

Hello Julie, sorry to hear your feeling rotten.  Different manufactures I believe can make a difference, but the GP WIll Fob you off with that one.  I have battled for such a long time (not over yet) with just getting the right dose.  Could it also be linked to 'time of life' or is that out of the picture?    I have too considered the NDT but wouldnt dare self medicate at this stage.  Also there is research to show that this too can have effects . 

Take care and persever.  Go back and tell her how she made you feel. I have!

• Posted

Hi RKD, thanks for your reply, I am feeling so much better, I have reduced the Thyroxine back down to 50mg, within 3 days this was noticeable, less tired, after a week my stiffness has gone, & feel more like a 54 year old than 84 !!, also feel much happier, & my concentration is also much better.  I am reading a book  called Your Thyroid & how to keep it healthy by Dr Barry Durrant-Peatfield, which is very good.  I have also changed my diet to Rosemary Conley, here's hoping!.

kind regards

• Posted

Brilliant, so now you have to let the GP know at your next appointment... and how much are they on ££££   for giving poor advice/care?  Well done - always go by how you 'feel'  and not what they say.  

This is what make my blood boil!!

Please keep us informed. x

• Posted

ALso are you a member of Healthunlock Thyroid?  Masses of knowledeable people on there!  from professional to eyars of personal experiences and battles. wink
    • Posted

Thanks had not heard of Healthunlock Thyroid, but will definately join.  kind regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.