A change of diet has helped me a lot with respect to mucus and phlegm production...

Posted , 4 users are following.

For the past week or so I have quit eating any pork, chicken and pasta.

Always thought that mucus/phlegm production was increased by eating

and/or drinking dairy, apparently not so, at least in my case.  Although I don't drink milk at all and keep cheese consumption at a minimum.  The

information regarding this came from my go to site for health questions -

The Mayo Clinic in the US of A.  Not suggesting that anyone quite eating

pork, chicken and pasta, just sharing what has happened with me.  x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

In what way has the change in diet helped you & howmuch of those foods did you usually eat previously?

Your comment about dairy products is interesting:  research I've seen has convinced me  the mucus production story is a myth, although of course dairy may not be good for us for other reasons.

• Posted

I ate a lot of chicken, probably 2 to 3 times a week.  Also ate quite a bit

of pork, once or twice weekly.  As for the pasta, again quite a bit, at least

twice a week.  Since I have totally cut all three items from my diet my

mucus and phlegm is almost non-existent!  As for dairy, don't think I

am lactose intolerant, however milk has never agreed with me and as

I said I limit cheese and any other dairy products. 

• Posted

Thanks for that info:  apart from the pork I also eat chicken a couple of times a week and pasta the same, but I have hardly any mucus or plegm so I think I'll leave my diet as it is.  I do eat cheese and yoghurt but use soymilk instead of dairy.
  • Posted

I read awhile back about dairy, and I cut down my dairy intake dramatically.

I worked for me insofaras  before I was always blowing my nose ...and I mean always,  that stopped when I cut out dairy

Cannot say it made any difference at all to my lung mucus  which has been the same all my life,   but it did seriously stop the nose mucus.

• Posted

Hi Ohara:

Glad to hear that cutting down on dairy has helped out with your nose

mucus.  I have never had a problem with nose issues, it's the phlegm from my lungs that was terrible.  Constantly coughing and spitting up

phlegm.  If anything my nose is too dry.  Guess I shouldn't have really

said it helped my mucus, as I never really had a problem with that.

Cheers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.