A clever way to monitor your reflux graphically

Posted , 4 users are following.

In the "old days" your only option to measure whether you are improving was by noting in your diary the severity of attacks - how many a night, how much acid in your throat, ease of swallowing etc. Lately I have just started using a fitness tracker. It has a sleep mode that very accurately tells you on a graph how many times you woke up, how long you were awake, when you got deep REM sleep, but most importantly when you had your attacks and the total time you were fully awake! Amazing technology and under $100. When I first got this I was totally shocked that my first attacks came less than an hour after falling asleep. I always thought it was hours later - we rightly dont have visible clocks in the bedroom as these absolutely cause insomnia! Interestingly my wife has one too and it showed us how I disturbed her each time I had an issue. I was totally wrecking her sleep as women tend to listen to kids and husbands! You can also monitor heart, track your weight and BMI. Dont think it makes a morning cuppa though! Batteries last a year and you wear it all the time as its waterproof to 50 metres. Oh yes it also tells the time and gives a warning if you have been idle for more than an hour - great for those unfortunate to have DVT problems. Its exciting stuff!

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Thanks Rex

I suspect all reasonable methods are worth a try. I need a new watch anyway!

Cheers

Walt

• Posted

Walt its also good if you are at the prostate stage of life. It tells you how many times a night you get up to wee! This shows up as a big black line.
  • Posted

That sounds like a great piece of kit, Rex. Just a shame it can't make the tea! wink

I do have a clock in my bedroom...which is meant to be a no no, but I do like to know how long I have been alseep, and how long I have till the alarm goes off.

• Posted

Hi - yes I know exactly what you mean. I have always wanted one of those gadget clocks that projects the time on the ceiling ever so softly. Not allowed though!
  • Posted

Ok but why have the attacks at all? You don't need to have them. 

Take fresh lemons in your diet. Drink tsp of apple cider vinegar 2 or 3 times per day or put it in your food. 

You need to alkalise. Basically alkaline foods like bread etc produces acidic digestive enzimes in your digestive system and acidic foods like lemons produce alkaline digestive enzymes. Yes it's a topsy turvey world dude!

• Posted

Georgia trust me I would give anything to be totally reflux free. I start the day with two glasses of lemon and ginger in hot water. I follw this with a big cup of bone broth. Ive only had two symptom free periods in the last 12 months - 3 month, then 21 days just recently. I have never eaten more healthily. Got a new naturapath last Thursday who I have great faith in after just one session. He got rid of bloating instantly by putting an electrode on my foot and hand. On a very restrictive diet with the aim of killing the nasty bacteria in the small intestine. (No grains, no dairy,  no grog BUT one lemon and lime a day - yippee!) Doing a sibotest tomorrow. This seems to be the most accurate way of diagnosing IBS by the way at 87% at the last two peer reviews. I local univesity does them for $50 but I dont aggree with their daft diet plans. I would appreciate your take on curing this blasted reflux! I do so wish this board would get posts going dealing with patients that have cured themselves. I cant take PPi's and strongly believe that the human body is designed to self heal itselt provided you make available the correct nutrients. I certainly get that by drinking loads of fresh veggie juice (extremely hard to do in winter Georgia. Weight is spot on. Only take 1/2 a BP pill and I will ditch that as soon as I can get more than 2 hours sleep. My graph looks like the English Chanel on a stormy night! Last night for instance I had ten episoads. Thankfully only one had acid right up to the lips. I would sincerely appreciate any advice you can possibly give.
  • Posted

Hi all - just an update. I have been using this for 3 weeks now. Have found its main use to be monitoring acid attacks in the night. It shows this very clearly. Wonderful if your MD/ND want to see what happens as the adjust medications etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.