A complete change of opinion

Posted , 5 users are following.

When I first started Mirtazapine, a little over a month ago, I actually posted a topic on here singing its praises, telling anyone that would listen how wonderful it is. At the time I had been suffering from insomnia due to health anxiety, and was constantly in this overly emotional state due to exhaustion. Eventually, I gave in and started 15mg of Mirtazapine. I slept like a baby, so of course I thought it was great.

I'm now a little over a month down the line, and I'm starting to change my opinion on Mirtazapine. I don't feel it is helping my anxiety, and I am beginning to think it is helping me sleep a little too effectively. Like, it really knocks me out. I went to sleep last night at 3am (that is kind of normal for me), and didn't wake up this afternoon until 4pm. Sometimes, I wake up feeling heavy headed and a little bit groggy, despite all the sleep I am getting.

And, last of all, I am not sure it is doing much for my anxiety. I have health anxiety, so I am constantly freaking out that there is something seriously wrong with me, even when multiple tests and examinations beg to differ. Now, I don't know if Mirtazapine is CAUSING the symptoms I am suffering from, or just not helping with the anxiety brought on by this symptoms, but I am as on edge as ever I was. I am having this weird shocks, or like crawling sensations, inside my head, and it constantly freaks me out, due to my health anxiety, that it is a brain tumor.

I am seriously considering quitting Mirtazapine; can anyone else share their experiences with me? I'm only 27, and I only started taking meds a month ago, so this is all very new to me. Any advice that can be offered would be massively appreciated.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi David

are you taking your mirt regularly /same time of day without missing any? The only reason I'm asking is this could cause the effects you have mmentioned. It could also be that your dosage may need tweaking. I was the same as you and sang many a good tune about how wonderful mirt was!

I must say it got me half way there in a groggy kind of way! I now take mirt and venlafaxine and wow I feel well again! I think you should get your meds/dosage reviewed. The anxiety could also be the mirt doing its job and these symptoms may pass in a few days.

How are you coping generally? Are mornings difficult?

I found them to be difficult and before my new combo had ruled mornings out and stayed in bed!

• Posted

Hey, Lorraine!

Mirt is the only thing I am taking, and it's the first thing I have ever taken for anxiety, because my anxiety has only really started a few months back. Coping generally? I'm not great. See, the catch 22 for me is, I have health anxiety, so I constantly worry that something is wrong with me - but I have been getting symptoms I have never experienced before, they only started when I started Mirtazapine; I then worry about these symptoms, and then I become anxious. I am beginning to think the meds are making me worse.

• Posted

Hi David

I know the general consensus seems to be for you to consider stopping mirt. I personally recall going through a stretch of anxiety but it passed. I would say hold on for another week and then reassess how you are feeling. Some people need at least six weeks for the AD to settle down and for side effects to disappear. How is your appetite? Did you manage to steer clear of the munchies? :-)

Are you feeling slightly better when your anxiety settles?

I cannot recall what dose youare on. Is it 15mg? ♥

• Posted

Yes, I'm on 15mg - they came in a 28 pack, so I have one of them completely done, and am about 10 tabs into my new pack, so I think I am about 5.5 - 6 weeks into Mirtazapine.

My appetite is okay, actually. I have always had a naturally sweet tooth, so nothing has changed in that area. Um, I wouldn't say I am craving food constantly the way some people say they have been. Some people have said their appetite is almost insatable. I don't think I'm at that level.

See, Lorraine, it's symptoms that I think the Mirt is causing that is keeping me anxious. So, if side effects would behave, then I would most likely be fine. 

• Posted

Hi David

go with your gut feeling, if you feel mirt is making things worse, then you are right to come off. I stopped it the first time after only 5 weeks of taking 15 mg. I tried to rush the taper as I thought it wouldn't be difficult after just taking it for a short while. I was wrong! After 4 days I got really unwell and had to go back on it! Taper carefully if you decide to come off.

wishing you success whatever you decide to do. Most importantly i wish you good health with lots of love and joy ♥♥

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.