a diagnosis for mortons neuroma

Posted , 4 users are following.

My partner has been off work for 2 months with what he thinks/drs think is metatarsalgia or mortons neuroma.  He thinks he got it througfh wearing shoes that were a bit small. It seems to get a little better when he rests it but then he tries to do something normal like go in afew shops and it completely sets it back again and he is back to square one. He went for an xray and nothing showed but since then it doesn't seem to be moving forward.  The gp has now told him to self refer to a podiatrist but we rang them and they say it could be weeks before he is even seen. If he then needs an operation or something he could be waiting months I am guessing. I have read that you can get it diagnosed through ultra sound. Should we be pushing for this or should we just try and pay for a private podiatrist? We don't have much money but he has a very physical job as a gardener and he cannot do it. It needs to be moving forward but i am unsure what to do next. Any exp/advice welcome please

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Your G.P. should refer him to the hospital Podiatry outpatient clinic. I would go back

and see him again, and keep doing that untill he does something about it. My MN was first diagnosed by a Chiropodist I go to, I just happened to mention to him about my very painful foot and he said oh that's a Morton's Neuroma I will write to your Doctor and tell him to refer you to the Podiatry clinic. And that was it it all moved along pretty quick within 2 months I was in hospital and had it removed I have never looked back.That was about 7 yrs ago, now I have one in my other foot and again my G.P. wrote to the hospital and now I have a date for March for another op. Good luck maybe see a different Doctor.

• Posted

I am very pro something called Bowen therapy - and there is a video on Utube where a podiatrist in the US found it made massive improvements for people with foot problems. 

Look for Mitchell Mosher podiatrist Bowen therapy - it looks daft, it works wonders! Definitely worth considering.

• Posted

After ringing the NHS podiatrist and being told it will be 2 weeks before he even gets a letter asking him to make an appointment, we have made an appt with a private one for Thursday. She said if she thinks it is one then she can make a reccommendation to the dr to maybe get an ultrasound to confirm.
  • Posted

An ultrasound should definitely confirm a Morton's neuroma.  Mine was diagnosed this way and I had an op on New Year's eve to remove it.  Its too early to say whether or not it was successful as its obviously quite painful now after all the cutting etc. but it isn't as bad as I imagined it would be and am hoping the healing will be quite speedy. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.