A difficult decision....

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was supposed to have a fusion at L5S1 but consultant was reluctant as I am only 26. so I had a discectomy and laminectomy at L5S1 in April 2014. But It didnt work properly and the consultant has given me a decision, I can either have the fusion or retry the discectomy and laminectomy then have the fusion in later life when Im older. My disc is buggered (his words) but he said my mobility will be greatly decresed with a fusion and it may not remove the pain.

I have to let his secretary know on Monday which Op I want.

So my question is.... Which Op should I go for? ultimatly I want to be pain free. I know other posters have had a fusion so any information on recovery and post op mobility would be helpful. I have had the discectomy and Laminectomy before and it didnt work. I dont want to be here again in a years time still in pain wishing I had choose the other option.

cheers

stuart

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Stu3599, Only you can make your mind up about which op to have. But from my experience and others in the same postion, i would look very carefully at having the fusion. As your consultant says you are still very young and who knows what they might come up with in the near future. They are already growing body cells to replace damaged body parts.

Whatever you decide I wish you luck. Sandrog

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.