A fairly positive story about quiting citalopram.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I just thought I'd share this as there's a lot of real horror stories about quitting this drug out there and my experience wasn't that bad so maybe you're experience won't be either!

So background: I was moved onto Mirtazipine to help me sleep so had to quit the citalopram. Bringing my dosage of Cirt wasn't hard for me at all, no ill effects at all, but trying to quite after getting to the point of taking 10mg every other day was pretty hellish...I think I lasted about a week.

So I was then put on the liquid citalopram. Had a little bit of feeling bad when I went from 2 drops a day to one drop a day but nothing too awful. I got down to one drop every other day and tried to quit from there but lasted about a week again. I think that was more to do with my anxiety though. I'd read a lot of horror stories about people trying to quit it and after just a couple of days of feeling bad started again.

So then I just stayed on a drop every other day for a month or two. That become a drop every three days then every four. Basically I was just having one drop whenever I felt the start of withdrawal symptoms. But then one week I realized I was on day five and not feeling too bad so I thought "what the hell, I'll just stop".

Days 6, 7 and 8 without were pretty s**t. But not totally unbearable. The symptoms were what I was expecting, Brain zaps mood swings....that type of thing. But it ended pretty quickly and days nine to fourteen were pretty much fine.

I then had 2 weeks of more physical symptoms. Stomach pain, headaches, feeling like I had the flu sometimes. It actually took me a little bit of time to realize it was withdrawal still. That was probably the worst part of it. But after about 4 weeks that all cleared up.

Now I've been about six weeks and I've had 2 weeks of basically feeling fine. I still get just some very mild brain zaps first thing when I wake up, but it really is very mild and goes away as a soon as I get up.

So all in all going from 40mg a day, a dose I'd been on for about 8 years, to nothing I probably all told had about 4 weeks of feeling bad. But It was important I went down pretty slowly and got my dose as low as humanly possible before stopping completely. It really was easier stopping from a drop every four days compared to a drop every 2.

Everyone's different of course and I'm certainly not trying to invalidate the experience of people who've had a really hellish time...but if you're worried about having to do this just remember that there's also people who quit without feeling any kind of problem whatsoever and then other people who quit and just have a bit of a s****y time but nothing really terrible.

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

good for you 😃 im been trying to settle on 3 drops for over a year a withdrawals dont hit me hard for months

• Posted

I also just quit about 2 months ago now, had some ill effects for the first 4 weeks but nothing intolerable. But also, I anticipated it and knew that was what was happening so it helped me so much to push through them and not let it get to me.

Good for you though and your success on quitting! 😃

• Posted

everyone is so different, some get no withdrawal, some get mild and some get long lasting and brutal, glad you werent in the latter group like me 😃

• Posted

It sounds like you had a bad time with getting off the drug.

I checked with my doctor and was told that there is no side effects to just quitting the drug, and all that you have to do is to quit taking the drug. I was on Citalopham Hydrobromide 20 MG for 6 months and didn't like the side effects. I followed what the doctor told me and quit taking the drug about 1 month ago with no side effects.

I even started to feeling better for the first since time in months. I kind of like the new me that i got from not being on the drug!!! Lots of good changes.

• Posted

your doctor is an idiot a lot of people get brutal long lasting withdrawals youre lucky, the symptoms dont tend to get me for 6 weeks

• Posted

your doctor is clueless.withdrawls at times start months away at times believe it or not .and then doctors will tell you is your anxiety return when all along is withdrawls.unbelievable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.