A few weeks ago oral surgeon confirmed from biopsy I have Oral Lichen Planus

Posted , 8 users are following.

Everything started back in April. Thought is was stress. Before this when I got stressed my mouth broke in sore spots. Would last a couple days then go away. This did not. Went to Express dr. they diagnosed my mouth with thrush. Treated for that.

A couple weeks later seemed things were cleared up. Went to six month dentist appointment. A week later mouth became inflamed again. Called dentist, they saw me, referred me to oral surgeon. He looked in and stated Who said you had Thrush. This is not Thrush but without biopsy can not confirm. Pretty sure OLP.

Unfortunately, needed to go to an oral surgeon in net work. Did whole routine plus biopsy. Now it was confirmed. He is sending me to a dermatologist for further treatment.

Just can not figure where and how we get this crazy stuff. Hard to watch a diet plan. Most fruits and veggies burn. Now don't know if I am right they say use a bland diet. Try mainly to avoid spicy or sauce items. The oral surgeon gave me a script for a cream to put mouth. Just on the lesions. Goes in gritty, then like melts. Was using turmeric but have another issue so stopped. Plus was not working like it did when I was on vacation.

I would not say mine is evasive at this time. Could be just on prednisone for testing that was done. Hoping to get into this group. No one understands what this feels like. The discomfort and for me, I feel a bit depressed. Why, not quite sure. maybe due to not being able to eat what I want.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear this. I too have OLP diagnosed about two years ago, it is depressing as we don't know how we get it or why. in the grand scheme of things though, if its the only health issue we have then we should count ourselves lucky as many people suffer worse. iI take turmeric in capsule form and i find it helps a lot, I don't know if you could tolerate it that way. If not I believe coconut oil is very good. Good luck with it anyway.

• Posted

HI

sorry to hear you are also experiencing this! It is very distressing during flare ups and you're right its so difficult to explain to people, and i've spent many days crying with the pain. It also made me not want to speak because it hurt too much so id get frustrated and snappy at my husband and kids 😦 I understand the depression..

I have found that diet helps enormously. For me it's sugary stuff (chocolate) and oily food. Since cutting right back (using the spray cooking oil frylight instead of olive/rapeseed oil) for daily cooking and ditching salt 😦 and rarely eating take aways and junk its so much better. Also watch sharp foods like crisps as the flesh is more delicate and it can really tear and cause irritation.

I'm not saying I go without, I just don't have it all at once or too often through the week. Christmas is nutoriously a bad time for me as there us so much yummy food and nights out 😕

I'm having fewer, like hardly any flare ups now so i have now re introduced fruit, as i can tolerate it if i'm not eating the chocolate, biscuits or drinking alcohol

It's not been plain sailing, but i feel a lot healthier, Its taken me a few years to get to this stage, but I hope that you can get your OLP under some sort of control sooner rather than later.

Stay positive it can get easier!

• Posted

yes can fully sympathise with you--not being able to go to a restaurant and order your favourite food is a nightmare--I find that garlic helps in the food--at least you can taste it--I find that I have a very metallic taste--things like steak are a waste of time--garlic prawns ok--or a medium Indian tikka--fruit a bit and icecream--cooler--does help

Yes depression sets in if You let it--I was on prednisalone--thart helped in that they give you this inner confidence---nightmare coming off them though--like coming off class A drugs--which have never tried but thats what it feels like!!!

Can put up with the mouth sores --but metallic taste drives me crazy

Have had various suggestions--Betamethazone or Dexamethazone--we see what happens

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your input. Wonderful to know I gave people to talk too.

• Posted

Guys, there may be some hope out there for all you OLP sufferers! It's called Calendula Tincture and it's been around for over 2,000 years to help with various inflammatory and infectious conditions of the mucosa.

Just google up "Calendula and Lichen Planus" or "Calendula and Desquamative Gingivitis" and treat yourself to the results of a few small scale clinical trials, suggesting that this popular decorative plant may be quite helpful for your condition.

You can actually make your own Calendula Tincture, which you would then dilute with water to use as a regular mouthwash. You would just need to grow a few plants at home, collect their flowers, plunge them in some grain alcohol for a few weeks, filter, and VOILÀ : Homemade Calendula Officinalis Tincture that might be more helpful than a lot of the popular solutions out there. Yes, a few people may be allergic, just like for any other substance, but overall, you are looking at a generally non-toxic substance since these flowers are literally edible and have been a part of salads in many countries, since the beginning of time!

Hope this helps,

Greg.

• Posted

I know everyone is different however after dexamethasone stopped working for me, I found that Therabreath mouthwash, the minty green bottle, helped me enormously.. After eating the offensive food, usually spices and ranch dressing and very spicy foods, if I would rinse my mouth out with the Therabreath mouthwash, I experienced fewer outbreaks. I even carry a little bottle with me when I go to restaurants.

• Posted

dexamthosone oral irrigation 3 x aday , 5cc , just swish and hold in mouth for 5 min. then spit it out. Very effective now for me. i did for 4 weeks . now irrigation only as symptoms start again. GOOD LUCK! SIS

• Posted

Thanks for that Jelztoy, I'll certainly give that a go. Good luck eveyone!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.