A-Fib attack

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am hoping that some of you very knowledgeable people can help me on this.  I've been on bisoprolol for approx 7 years following my first attack whilst on holiday in Spain,  yesterday I had my 2nd bad attack and went to A & E as it lasted 3+ hours.  My b.p was very high and pulse up to 140, it was terrifying.  The dr said he thought the cause of this attack could have been dehydration, as they put me on a saline drop and in a few hours I got back into sinus rhythm.  Now have any of you had this given as a possible cause ?  Also I want to know if any of you think their attacks could be started off by certain foods,  I found once eating a banana precipitated a very short attack, and I've also found a possible link with cucumber!  I know it sounds strange but I just wondered.  Feeling quite weak today as I find this whole thing terrifying and dread another attack and would like a magic pill to stop them.  Any advice on any of this would be so much appreciated.  Keep soldiering on you wonderful people. 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pauline, I have been on Bisoprolol for about 3 years, my AF attack had my heartrate at 190bpm and while I was in hosp it wen briefly to 200, yes dehydration isn't good, I know I don't drink enough, I can have a cup of decaf coffee at breakfast (7ish) and then realise at 5 in the afternoon that that is all I have had, I just don't get thirsty even when it is hot, the nurses suggested that I fill a litre bottle with water at the beginning of the day and decant into a small bottle and drink that throughout the day, I try to but it doesn't always happen, I used to find that Chocolate could bring on a mild attack (sugar rush I suppose) though it doesn't anymore.............phew!lol

How much Biso are you on? I am on 2.5mg.

Phoebe.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Phoebe.  I'm on 3.75 mg and it does make me drowsy and breathless.  You had a bad attack!  What do you think brought yours on?  It just terrifies me, and of course that makes things worse.  My gp won't give me even a few valiums which I need to calm me down.  Keep off that choc then Phoebe and all the best. 
    • Posted

I have no idea what brought it on Pauline, I had been reading in bed turned the light off, rolled onto my left side and that was that, I did ignore it for a while but after speaking to a lady on NHS helpline she advised me to get my hubby to take me to A&E and within 2 mins of arriving I was into resuss, I have to say I wasn't particualrly fazed by it all, I was more concerned about the colour, or lack of it in my hubbys face, he was in a bad way, I ended up making him go home, I cope much better on my own, I hate fuss. I was in hospital for 3 days only, since coming out of hospital I haven't been able to sleep on my left side, not once, that is the only thing that in my head may start it off again, and also like Mike, I have given up caffeine I drink either weak decaf or Orzo (Barley based coffee sub)

Have you tried herbal treatments for your anxiety? Kalms work quite well, though do ask a pharmacist if they are ok with Bisoprolol, if memory serves they are ok.

• Posted

Hi Pauline.

It's pretty frightening when your heart goes crazy.

Mine was "resting' at 195 for 2 weeks when I was in hospital.

Many foods are known triggers, and these can be different for each person.

I know that I can't eat Chinese food because the MSG is a trigger.

I have also stopped drinking caffeine and alcohol.

Others can't eat spicy food, some get triggered by eating too much.

• Posted

Hi Mike, that sounds dreadful, you must have been exhausted.  What caused it do you think, and how did they get you back to sinus rhythm?  Thanks for the food tips too.  I also have GERD and think there's a link there with food and digestion.  Keep well my biso buddy. 
    • Posted

Hi Pauline,

several factors I think . I am obese, have high blood pressure (which I wasn't controling very well) and the final push was a really stressful time at work. I know the exact minute it kicked off!! shame my GP mis-diagnosed it as Asthma!!!

I was in AF from 30th November until 28th January when I had a Cardioversion.

My EP is wonderful, he got me tested for sleep apnae , which I have although thankfully only a mild case.

I was on 12.5mg Bisoprolol before the CV, and I was also on amiodorone for about 4 months, until I could stand the side effects no more.

My EP made sure all the pieces were in place for a succesful CV, and as you know, I have radically changed my lifestyle to try and stay in rhythm.

I should take my own advice, I ended up going out for a Chinese with friends last night and I was out of rhythm for a good few hours during last night. Thankfully back in NSR this morning.

Also, I hate sleeping on my left side. Every bump and flutter feels so much worse when I do.

Don't let this horrible condition rule your life though. Make changes, understand what is going on, and then get on with the fun stuff

• Posted

Oh how well I know how that feels - I had three years of it on and off, averaging about every two months, but when it was on I felt scared and very ill and went to A & E many times.  These attacks lasted on average about three hours and then sinus would return.  I felt weak and slept for a day and a half following attacks.  My triggers seemed to be a sudden awakening (especially if dozing in front of the telly) and anything with antihistamine (hayfever, allergies etc).  If you can identify a trigger, then even if it is a strange one, trust your instincts, and it is quite possible certain foods can trigger, but we are all different.  

If these attacks continue, then you  will no doubt be offered an ablation and many of these can be very successful or at least last for a good period of time.  This will probably be your next step depending on the frequency of them.  Above all, try not to worry as AF is not life threatening, although it does feel like it!  I trust you are on blood thinning medication.

• Posted

Don't think it was that as my husband was also in the room with me and awake, but said I would wake with a start.  I must be a jumpy person! 
    • Posted

Hi Josephine, thanks for your input. I went to see my gp who has given me a "pill in a pocket" of 5 mg bisoprolol and said take it extra if I get another attack,  he also put me on dabigatran blood thinner, one of the new anti coags.  I was wondering if any others are on this and how they're getting on with it.  You don't need INR checks like with warfarin?   Keep well and I will endeavour to stay calm!   Best wishes. 
    • Posted

Both my husband and I have been on dabigatran (Pradaxa) for two years in my own case and six months for him.  No side effects, no more needles, no more adjusting unstable INR, no dietary restrictions.  Sometimes I even forget I have the complaint!  I carry Flecainide for onset of attacks and this is good for me.  There is a good life out there!

I do have to come clean with you however.  After two failed ablations, I opted for AV node ablation and pacemaker and have never looked back.  When I know things are feeling bumpy, I just take a Flecainide.  So there are still very many avenues for you to explore in the way of treatment, any one of which could make you forget all about these problems.

• Posted

Thank you Josephine, that makes me feel better about the anti coag. So pleased to hear you have got it sorted now and wish you and hubby the best.  Regards 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.