A large enterocele and a moderate sized anterior rectocele found on a Proctogram test

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, have felt unwell in my stomach, pelvis region, bloated for years now they started off at my local doctors saying IBS, try peppermint oil and then buscopan etc.

Then I had a colonoscopy but that failed to get past the first bend.

Then sometime passed as you always have to wait a while inbetween things and I had a barium xray and that did not show anything.

Then 2 years later a surgeon said you should have another colonoscopy and we shall see if we can get all the way this time. Findings were,

Carried out on 6 Feb 17

Perianal lesions: 3 haemorrhoids (2nd degree) and skin tag within

Diagnoses

Haemorrhoids and mild degree of rectoanal intussuseprion.

Then next time I went to the hospital and they gave me the findings above they said I ought to have a Proctogram , and I went for that on the 1st Aug.

I had an appointment this week at the hospital, a locum, but he was nice. I had the Proctogram on 1st Aug and this is the first time I have been back to find out what they have found out and this is what the hospital locum in outpatient general surgery has said to my local doctor surgery "I reviewed this lady in Mr ............ outpatient clinic.  She was recently investigated for a picture of intussusception seen on colonoscopy and she had a Proctogram at the Royal Liverpool Hospital.  This investigation showed the presence of a large enterocele which at the end of the test is compressing the superior aspect of the rectum at the anorectal junction while no intussusception was shown and the rectum was seen to have rapid emptying.  The anorectal angle opens regularly and a moderate sized anterior rectocele was almost completely empty at the end of the test, not to be considered significant and no intussusception was demonstrated. 

I had a prolonged discussion with the patient about this issue and I explained to her that the theology of the enterocele and the possible surgical treatment.  We agreed to refer her to our gynaecology colleague in order to have an expert opinion from them.  The patient also asked me to refer her across because she would like to have second opinion in Liverpool and therefore I am going to refer her there.  We will be happy to review her if any new need should arise. 

The doctor at first was not going to do anything and I said it has taken this long four years to get to where we are now as at first they kept saying at the doctors IBS and it has got worse and I feel like this every day, that I feel like fluid inside and bloating and pressure and then at times it gets worse and I feel like its all congested in there and backing up to under my ribs and at that stage when I just feel bad then I get a taste in my mouth and a smell, my breath at that stage really smells like, well a friend said it smells like poo breath. For years I kept feeling like something is pressing on my bladder, presume this and kept saying to the doctors but they never did anything. I always felt I had to wee more than others for years. Plus with the going to the number 2 toilet side of things its really difficult for years and got worse over the last year and a half even more so. I have to sometimes put my finger inside my bum and press on a soft lump sort of thing and that then the poo can get around this, thats my way of describing it. To me that is not good having to stick you finger in to press on something so that you can get your poo out.

At other times I can without doing that. I dont like to take the fibre sachets every day they taste awful even though orange flavour ones. Does anyone else find these a struggle to take every day?

But sometimes need to take these as cant go to the toilet at all and feel its awful inside then so full, so uncomfortable in tummy and pelvis when like this that I take them then. I eat lots of fruit and veg always have done.

So presume my trouble with going to number 2 toilets is due to this then and not that my bowels are lazy, as thought I had lost muscle tone or that bowels are lazy, but think maybe more that these lumps are in the way. As my poo is most often than not a lot skinnier than it used to be, its not like how I used to go years ago, but its think and I cant do it all in one go. Always feel like there is more in there and feel like I just have to clear more out of me, but I cant as it does not come out in one go. Does this make sense to others too all of this and to you josephine?

Hope its not too much toilet talk as dont know how to deal it but use the words number 2 or poo.

So what do others think, i.e. insist on surgery maybe?

What experiences have you had with surgery for the above two conditions?

What are the recovery times and are you happy with the results?

What is the best place, surgeon?

They were not going to do anything but I said no, I want to see someone about this you just cant leave me like this. They said its not cancer, they were saying I did not need to be treated as its not going to kill me basically and that ok its lumps in way but thats all it is. But I feel bad in my pelvis and stomach ever day and that just is there every day for so long now so feel I would just like to feel normal again in that area, and forgot how well I used to feel really. Dont know what normal is like.

Thanks for reading.

Michele

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi I'm in the exact position! I have a rectocele also a muscle has lost support in my bowel. I had the bowel xray too. They didn't explain to me what was wrong I got it read out to me the findings. Never recieved a letter telling me. I am getting worse. They don't seem to care! Its making me want to end my life.

Yes I do think you should push for surgery, like you say you got worse. Not better. I take the sachets and find my stool can be formed then changes throughout the day to drips of watery poo.

My stomach also always bloated even with all day emptying, do you know why we are so bloated?

Sorry I not been much help but we can help each other hopfully.

• Posted

Hello Ruby

Yes let's chat 're this and good we can chat about how we are and what we think. Have you FB can chat on there if u want or email?

Take care

Michele

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service (click on the envelope next to user's name).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.