A lifetime of blepharitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've suffered from styes for 50yrs and chronic eyelid sores for the last ten years and they were becoming continuous but moving around. The docs ruled out alternatives and I was left with demodex mites as a cause.

Based on advice from a doc in the USA I recently tried Tea Tree Shampoo as part of my hygiene routine after trying everything else. I started with weak children's stuff and graduated to stronger stuff, but always diluting about 50 times with boiled water.

I've now been symptom-free for a month and it's changed my mood entirely. This won't work for everyone but may be worth trying for someone as desperate as I was?

Trevor Buck

Edinburgh, Scotland

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My husband has recently been diagnosed after many years of not knowing what was wrong. He has also started the shampoo treatment and it does seem to be working. We were given an information sheet as well. Hope things continue to get better for you.

Linda

Cambridge

• Posted

I too have suffered from Blepharitis, and found that a supplement called Lutein has definitely got rid of the symptoms. Will remember Tea Tree shampoo as well, though.
  • Posted

I and a friend got rid of Blepharitis. My friend used an Avon Facial Scrub as her Blepharitis was moving up her lids. Can't find that product now and so looked on the internet to see where I could find that ingredient.

It was in WET ONES a antibacterial hand wipe. The ingredient is Benzethonium Chloride.

I tore each one into 8 pieces and did each eyelid twice 4 times a day for a week or two. Then it was 3 times a day for a month. After that it was 2 times a day for 2 months. After that, only about twice, did it itch and I jumped on it with a wipe and all gone.

Three Doctors tried to find it in my eyes. One was the Doctor who diagnosed it. Two of us no longer have it.

Hope this helps. I am trying this avenue as don't know how else to help people.

• Posted

Hi.

I am 20 years old and have recently noticed that my eyes, particularly my left one have been feeling sticky and hot recently, I have also developed a small sore on it. Over the last few days, I have noticed that my eyes have been particularly sticky in the mornings and in addition I also have visible red blood veins in my eyes when I look at them in the mirror which I never noticed before. Also, I have suffered with styes since I was a small child. In addition, my eyes often feel puffy and tired and I feel really run down. My mum has blepharitus and I was just wondering if this could be my problem too?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated as this is really stressing me out. Thanks.

• Posted

Dear Alice,

If you try the wipes you need to make sure you are just not allergice to shampoos or detergents, fabric softeners or spermicidal jellies or the hand wipes. There is lanolin in them too. Some are allergic to that.

I used the Wet Ones from the US as it has .03% Benzethonium Chloride in them.

Someone said the UK ones are a lot stronger, like .3%. That would be a huge difference.  So please use the ones I used at a safer level.

Blepharitis is caused by staphylococcus.

These Quats (Benzethonium Chloride) kill staphylococcus.

Please google the words and find the info for yourself.

Wish you relief soon,

Lynda79

• Posted

I know these WET ONES wipes kill bacteria for the blepharitis. A Dr. can tell you what is wrong with your eyes. Your Mom can cure her Blepharitis. I was willing to try anything as going crazy with itching.

You can always try these wipes but not in the eye just on the surfaces like the lashes and lids.

I don't know if styes are bacterial or not.

Cleaning them with an antibacterial wipe can't hurt them. Who knows you could be the one to kill styes by a bacterial cleaning cloth. Never know until a person tries it.

I use eye drops each day (water) for dry eyes. Part of getting old.

That can't hurt to try either as sold over the counter too to keep the eyes lubricated.

Please let your Mom know that it takes about 4 months to get rid of the Blepharitis. It is not a hit and miss program. Every day 4 times a day then 3 then 2 times for the last couple of months. Do research on the internet too. You may see your condition. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.