A list of foods and drinks during a relapse

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have ulcerative colitis and when i have a relapse I'm never sure what to eat and drink and what not too can someone help me please

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

Hi Clive

i have it 25 years.  Avoid sugary things ,fruit ,wheat yogurts and yogurt drinks . Alcohol too. I found my cure from one of forums in Feb. Lepicol the one with the pre and probiotics in it plus psyllium seeds purchased at ' just ingredients' online only place I could get it as it has to be the seeds.  It has all got to do with butyric acid which feeds coloncytes in bowel which keeps the bowel happy .

• Posted

Sorry Clive I cut myself off b4 I had finished.. Teaspoon of each in glass of water couple times a day for a while and then once a day now. I have been symptom free from starting this . I also put a teaspoon of hemp seed in mine too ... Good for your system.  Good luck
  • Posted

i have ulcer colit since 1992 and had a huge dose of hormons  and chemiotherapy with metotrexat. it was awfiul but now i am 42 y.o/ and remembering ol these stuff came to next conclusions1  good sense of humor ( remember that colits often cause depressive disorders } my treatment went very resistent to therapy until i  met beautiful psichoterapist  and began to administer antidepressant .of course diet plays signficant role a simple oat cereals plus hard boiled eggs up to 10 per day. and of course meat you must eat as much as possible. no souces and pepper and other things/ A cheerful mood and avoiding phisical strenth such as gogging and sportive exersises and you need every day administer your antiflammable therapy . 5-asa / and others ." Who dares wins'

'

• Posted

I find it hard cause some people say drink this and eat that and others say no that's bad
    • Posted

why bad / what harm may do oat cerals - it contains biotin and rich in albumen / the same things with eggs dont worry about cholestrol oat cereal prevent its icreasing 
    • Posted

I was tod things that ur stomach can't digest should b avoided
  • Posted

Hi Clive,I have oats with milk/water,good for healing intestinal tract,live yogurt for good bacteria,chicken,rice,mash potatoe,plain fish,soups and very limited fruit and veg whilst flaring.You could also try omega3 capsules and Turmeric for inflammation. I have kept note of Maryjo
  • Posted

I should say I have kept note of Maryjos suggestion and will try it out,good luck x
    • Posted

Thanx very much that has been really helpful 
    • Posted

I try to limit sugary things like cakes biscuits however I do have small amounts of chocolate! I drink limited coffee but have peppermint tea if my tummy is unsettled
    • Posted

And how about drinks like hot chocolate, and I know that alcoholic and fizzy drinks r a no no but what about juices such as orange and apple juice
    • Posted

Hi Clive 

if u take fruit juices small glass only.  I noticed comment re oats.. Me personally I have sensitivity to oats which send my gut into a spin . Trial and error in lot of cases.  U should keep food diary. I would hav had to b more careful until I did the lepicol plus thing.. At present I hav been able to go bac on lot of stuff I couldn't take b4 ....obviously I do not pig out on the stuff 

• Posted

Also noticed re live yogurt ... I could not take it ....I do not no the problem with me and it. I even made the 24 hour yogurt as per Elaine Gottschall and couldn't tolerate it either .  Everyone is different . All got to do with our genetics me thinks . U may b able to tolerate it ok.
    • Posted

It sounds like every1 is different, so it's a case of trial and error
    • Posted

Yeah but would still try the lepicol and psyllium seed for a while
    • Posted

Let me no how u get on please and good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.