a little disheartened :(

Posted , 6 users are following.

Good afternoon, I started my orlistat on the 10th May and was hoping for miracle I think, I've been to the nurse today and only weighed 2lb less, different scales etc were mentioned so will get a better reading in 2 weeks when I go back, anyone else not getting results after that time?

Thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bekloith.

Orlistat only works if your died has an average/high amount of fat in it.

Can you give an example of a days meals?

I lost 3 stone, then as I hit a rut, went onto Orlistat. It helped, but only a smidge, I lost maybe 5lb using it.

• Posted

Hiya, typically a days food id:

Mini weetabix with almond milk (I'm allergic to dairy)

Ham and cucumber sandwich with vitalite butter and low fat mayo

pork chop, salad and small jacket potato

soya yoghurt with granola

• Posted

Hi Bekloith,

Firstly, Orlistat probably won't help you, you're food-style is already low in fat.

This might sound crazy, but there's a possibility that you're not eating enough.

Your metabolism needs a certain amount of calories in order for it to work.

The minimum you should be eating is 1400 a day. Anything below this means your metabolism will not work properly, and you therefore won't be burning off any of this food doing day-to-day activities or exercise.

I use an app called MyFitnessPal in order to track all the food and drink I eat to make sure I'm eating not too much, but also not too little. And to make sure I have the right balance of fats, protein, sugar, salts etc.

• Posted

Yep I use that app, this is my diet since starting the orlistat, before I ate crisps daily (2pcks) pork pies, dairy free cheese, mash with lots of butter etc, choc cake, 4 sandwiches at lunch
    • Posted

Well it sounds like you're in the right mindframe, and doing all the right things too. I understand it's frustrating, I'm going through a 'working out - eating healthy - losing nothing' phase at the moment.

What are you doing in terms of exercise?

• Posted

Exercise hasn't been so good lately as my son hasn't been well, I used to work to work and back every day and be on my feet all day, I'm starting the gym in 2 weeks once bloods have come back and my iron lvl is normal, forgot to say, I'm currently 20 St
  • Posted

Hi Bekloith,

I lost 5 lbs the first month and the next month piled on 5 or 8 lbs (can't remember). My new meds Lithium are known for putting on weight. I have stopped the Lithium meds in the last few days as I cannot go on with putting on more weight. So check your meds in case they are interacting. Also it's interesting to see from ZombieLauren that not eating enough can stop your weight loss.

Hannah

ZombieLaureninteresting to see from ZombieLauren that that not eating enough 

• Posted

Hi,

Other members that have been successful with orlistat on this site have said that it wont happen straight away and can take at least 3 weeks to get into your system properly.  I have been on nearly 2 weeks so far and have lost 0, so you have only been on 3 weeks maybe weigh again next week or in 2 weeks time and hopefully you should see a more positive result.  2lbs is good cheesygrin well done. Any loss is better than none xx

• Posted

Don't give up I didn't lose anything until my 3rd week. Now been on them for just under 3 months and have lost 35lb 
  • Posted

Hi bekloith, please don't be disheartened I can't speak from experience as only been on these over a week, I can speak from experience of all the different diets on the market. 

When I 1st started slimming world I lost 6.5 lb in my 1st week but only lost 4lb on these pills but I have found I'm very bloated and I have also quit smoking. People lose weight at really different rates. Your diet is very much the same as mine but I have milk. I'm trying to look at these tablets in the long term. My dr told me most people will lose between 7 and 10lb a month. You have to lose 5% of your body weight in 12 weeks, for me it's just under 1stone (I started at 18.4) so yours can't be much more than mine.

sometimes it takes your body a while to catch up. 

Ii think you'll body will catch up by ur next weigh in.

Sorry for going on and on got carried away 😄 good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.