A long gap between beats

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all. I was just looking through my ecg and there was a long beat gap which was very noticeable. What is this?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Its a missed beat. Your sino atrial node should have fired a signal to the atrium to beat. Look up sick sinus syndrome-its a sister disease of af. I have developed it and had a pacemaker inserted under the skin in my upper chest. No missed beats for me now. You may only have the odd one. You should have a 48 hr holter monitor.
    • Posted

Hello thanks for your reply. I only noticed it when I had an echo done, it would have a few bumps but no beats. Yep I've had a 48 holter. So it could be sick sinus syndrome? As i have paroxysmal af as well

• Posted

Hi.......I have this pause and  sometimes it feels like I'm just getting ready to black out I have to  told my cardiologist so I wore a monitor for two weeks and of course it didn't do it soon as I returned it the next night it did it but because he didn't catch it on the monitor that I was wearing he did nothing about it it is a horrible feeling especially when you're out in public or  while driving .thank God I've never blacked out

• Posted

Hi Diana. I was having dizzy spells as well. Once I told my cardiologist and had the monitor he saw my heart was not beating for up to 6 seconds. He rang me and said to go to the hospital immediately and not to drive. Please get another holter done. A pacemaker is a relief really -you hardly know it's there. Good luck both of you.

• Posted

Hi XoMonkey,  The long beat gap could be what's known as Ectopics.  Talking to your doctor or cardiologist about this would put your mind at rest.  Good Luck.

• Posted

Thank you all for your replies, it means a lot. Yeah, my doctor actually told me I was experience ectopics without doing tests! I was like no, I have both palpitations and ectopics!! Here is a picture of the Echo i was talking about. The first picture is the gap, the second picture I'm not quite sure what it was doing maybe it's normal!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.