A long journey

Posted , 6 users are following.

After taking 15mgs of Temazepam for sleep for over 25 yrs. I was suddenly refused further prescriptions.  Did my research and found Ashton's withdrawal charts and started with 8 mgs Valium almost 2 yrs. ago with ill-informed doctors as my guides.  (Just a note:  The charts do not take into consideration the duration you've been on benzos. I should have been put on a higher dose of Valium to start.) With approx. 20 of the many side effects, including mini-seizures, unable to talk or walk, HBP as high as 220, ER visits, 2 psychiatrists, cardiologist, and a neurologist who said he wouldn't treat me I was pretty much on my own.  At the same time I began the taper I contracted Lyme Disease.  Both took a toll on my central nervous system. I now have a Dr. who understands the treatment and is helping me.  I'm down to 3.6 mg of Valium with the aid of pills and liquid Valium so I can taper very slowly.  I'm still looking at months of tapering at the rate I'm going, but for me speeding up the process is not an option or advisable. (Been there, done that.  Not good.)  I turned 71 this week and miss my previous life of high energy and sleep.  I've come to understand healing from this dreadful withdrawal is not linear but rather like a wave that ebbs and flows.  If I may suggest, stay away from refined sugars and alcohol.  Both will cause more side effects.  It's been a long journey, but I know I've come a long way towards recovery with the help of my new Dr. and my husband (a real support system).  I'm so looking forward to having my full and active life back again where I walked 4 mi. 3x/wk in the forest and could entertain friends and family. This has been the most difficult medical challenge I've ever faced.  In my opinion, doctors should be better educated regarding benzos before prescribing and not relying on just a pharmaceutical rep.  Stay Strong!  You can have a full life ahead of you.  You not only deserve, but are entitled to one.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Judy, and whoever else may read this... I am a completely recovered benzodiazepine addict. Put on them in 1972, I took them and a range of other anti-depressants for over thirteen years. At the time, they were given out like sweeties as being the panacea for all manner of ills. Folk were given them to help them sleep if they'd got a broken limb for instance. What I had to deal with for years, was a complete lack of self confidence and self esteem, thinking it was my fault i was placed on them. Needless to say, many people didn't need to be placed on them in those days, and the argument could apply to modern times. Anyway, what I will say is this... I went 'cold turkey' with no medical supervision in 1985. Although, I wouldn't advocate this, because we all need emotional support throughout the withdrawal process, with me, it worked. What complete withdrawal did cause though, was not particularly wonderful. 'Cold Turkey' is not very nice, to put it bluntly. The fact is, what ALL people who can go through this process of complete withdrawal will achieve, is a gradual sense of well-being and a gradual gaining of self esteem. In my case, the side effects of Agoraphobia caused by benzodiazepines were still with me for years after stopping. This Agoraphobia too can be overcome with CBT. (if you believe it can help, it will- this is very important) Three years ago, I went to university and have a degree in Creative Writing. I live alone, so I had no 'home' emotional support while at university. However, the university did have help on tap to help me overcome the 'new' surroundings I had to adapt to. What I'm saying here is this...It IS POSSIBLE TO KICK THE HABIT of benzodiazepine addiction and withdrawal. Take care all of you, and may you be strong as you go forward. I am now completely drug free. I take nothing as I walk forwards in life. I have learnt to go forwards with hope in my heart. May you all find this letter helpful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.