A matter of taste

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi!  I am in perimenopause and I also experience digestive issues.  This being said, I want to ask if anyone has a problem with taste.  It's happened about three different times.  I don't believe it's the food.  Today I was eating a Pop-tart.  I love pop-tarts but suddenly it tasted really bad.  It was good at first but  then YUCK!!  And last night I drank  a soft drink that I love to drink and then it started tasting funny and the glass started smelling funny.  I put it down and came back to it later and the glass smelled normal and the drink tasted good.  What is happening to my sense of taste??  I know that my Grandmother complained of things not tasting right.  She would add sugar to just about everything she ate because of it.

Even chocolate doesn't taste like it did to me anymore.  Is it old age? What is wrong with me??  I won't give up my Pop-tarts and chocolate!  

Lori    

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Me and some of the other ladies discussed this. We think hormones mess with everything else so why not tastebuds and smell. Nothing tastes like it used to.
  • Posted

Yes, this happened to me for a while but I finally got over it!!
  • Posted

yep, nothing tastes or smells like it should. I have to ask my husband if the milk is still good because I dont trust my nose lol.
  • Posted

Believe it or not lady menopause even tampers with our taste buds and our olfactory sense. She has to dip her hands into everything. Things don't have any taste to me anymore like it used to either. I eat most of the time just to keep something in my stomach. I don't have a real appetite for food like I used to. It's sad too because I used to love to cook and bake and am pretty good at it. I used to be a cook in my professional capacity but since peri hit I don't feel like cooking any more and I couldn't bear to do it professionally any more because the heat in those kitchens would take me out of here. Could you imagine having a heat flash in a kitchen? But these are the cards we've been dealt. We just need to figure out how to play them and win the game.

• Posted

Hi Lori!  You are brave!  Pop tarts would be lodged in my GI track for a month!  I agree...taste is kind of blah now.  Another thing too, I recently started amitripyline for migraines and I have dry mouth now...everything tastes like cardboard.  ADs will do that too.  🙄

• Posted

Hi Lou,

Would love to hear how you are doing with the amitrypiline (sp?) with regard to your migraines.  I suffer from them and 4-5 / month.  I suffer through with Tylenol, caffeine and a muscle relaxer.  My neurologist prescribed triptans but I do not want to take because of the vasoconstrictor side effects.  I am exploring other options at this point.

• Posted

Hi Kim,  I am still in the early stages...  I started at 5 mg ( my choice) for a week.  On day 4 of my prescribed 10 mg.  I take at 6pm.  PROS...I am sleeping really well.  Side effects not too bad...a little sleepy first couple days.  CONS...dull headache, neckache, whoozy now and the last couple days...feels like a migraine brewing BUT, it has been cloudy here and that is a trigger for me.  Also, my period is late...on day 36...not sure if it is coming this month or not.  I’m confused at the moment and do not want to blame the meds for how I feel. From what I understand amitripyline is supposed to be very effective...just will have to give it more time...I guess! 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.