A more hopeful post

Posted , 2 users are following.

Everyone with an anal fissure has suffered so much out of all proportion to the nature of this tiny cut. I thought I'd post a more hopeful message after some recent reflection on my condition.

When I first got a fissure a number of years ago, I despaired of not having options other than a sphincterotomy. While LIS is obviously an effective surgical treatment for many, the risks - however small - make it simply out of the question for many people, including myself. But there are now very new surgical options coming on line:

• Fissurectomy with advancement flaps
  • Kenalog procedure
  • laser therapies

Results look quite promising for each of these options, and hopefully in coming years they will become more available to everyone.

As for pain relief, I already posted here about my incredible experience with metronidazole suppositories (Flagyl), an antibiotic, but this novel treatment is not for infected fissures. No one has replied, so I do not know if others have tried this, but I very highly recommend it if you are in pain. It did not cure my chronic fissure, but it gave me my life back in terms of pain relief.

Of course, don't forget your Miralax/Movicol (macrogol) - which is so helpful.

Keep up hope - things will get better. It may take some time.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for your uplifting post..

I have been suffering so much from this little cut..

The spasms are beyond awful and can last up to 12 hours..

I have had botox twice without any help at all..

I too want to avoid the LIS as does my physician.

I have an appt in early December with a physician who does the Kenalog proceedure

I am hopeful that it works so I can get my life back.

ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS PROCEEDURE??

• Posted

Why don't you try the metronidazole suppositories. It can't hurt.

• Posted

Wanted to update with a link to the following article about the more conservative fissurectomy with anoplasty procedure :

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5951090/

Zeitoun, Jean-David et al. “Long-term Outcome of a Fissurectomy: A Prospective Single-Arm Study of 50 Operations out of 349 Initial Patients” Annals of coloproctology vol. 34,2 (2018): 83-87.

I had this procedure 4 weeks ago from the same centers of the team that authored the article in Paris. I am definitely not healed yet, but have been essentially out of pain since around day 21, with dramatic post-operative pain relief at day 14. When I'm farther along the recovery process and, hopefully, more confident about my recovery, I will try to update.

Cheers and wellness to all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.