A natural way of dealing with Barretts esophagus?

Posted , 65 users are following.

Hello all,quite recently I realised that my treatment for Barretts did not appear to be working very well I am taking 40mg Lansoprazole twice per day for the usual symptoms,reflux,distension,discomfort in throat etc.

I was diagnosed last June with Barretts,hiatus hernia and reflux after undergoing an endoscopy and despite taking the above medication still suffered the symptoms from time to time usually if I ate too much or ate the wrong things,for example tomatoes,cucumber,chocolate,spicy meals and so on.

Last week those symptoms returned with a vengeance and would not go away,so after scouring the Internet I decided to try a mixture of Diglycerinated liquorice,slippery elm,and a digestive enzyme bought from a local health shop and hey presto it seems to be working and for three days I have stopped taking Lansoprazole completely.

I hope that this new course continues to work as I am not sure about the long-term effects of taking PPI's it seems to be open to debate as to their efficacy over a long period of time.

Anyway for now I feel human again and will continue with my current treatment of 2-3 DGL capsules,a steeped brew twice per day of slippery elm powder(mix with milk and hot water) and one Digestive enzyme capsule at tea time.

However if necessary I may still take the odd Lansoprazole if this new method fails to continue to do its job.

By the way I am 63,male and currently awaiting a second knee replacement,medically retired in June last year from Royal Mail due to knee injury incurred on duty,I believe as a result of this inactivity (I have not worked since last June) this illness i.e Barretts et al appeared,the worry and inability to walk properly for 15 months has caused it to surface.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has had a similar experience and whether or not anyone is using natural remedies for treating this horrible affliction which according to one nurse in Orthopaedics when I had my preop for knee replacement 'is nothing much' I quipped back that try telling me that at two in the morning when I'm still awake feeling like I've eaten a five course meal and cannot get comfortable in bed,anyway food for thought,I will be glad to hear of anyone else's experiences on the subject of Barretts and on alternative treatment.

Regards Malcolm

5 likes, 118 replies

118 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Make sure you have sedation for the endoscopy I never felt a thing,without it it is absolutely awful,maybe your cough is linked to a virus,which can cause reflux,you will find out soon,don't worry unduly,all will unravel,it is easy to link things wrongly once a symptom becomes persistent,good luck and let me know how you go on,you should get an image of the extent of your esophagus after the endoscopy and they will inform you of anything out of the ordinary,but TAKE THE SEDATION option.

Regards Malc

• Posted

Suskwatch,

I to have a cough accompanied with the Barrett's . My work requires a lot of interviewing people and

Increasingly my ability to talk for more than a few moments at a time is dissipating. It becomes hourse and

The coughing begins. My throat always hurts, always. I had a barium test again yesterday and another upper GI scope tomorrow. Like you the coughing makes me so sore througout my neck and upper back. Between coughing and vomiting constantly my trachea is - shredded.

• Posted

I had another barium- swallow test yesterday and they told me that my trachea was severely stricted, and two spots wherein the liquid stopped and delayed processing. As well, one spot was torn, herniated, and something else I didn't understand?

Something about some "waves" in my trachea as they watched the barium process? Anyone know what this means?

Well, tomorrow is another endoscopy exam. I'm suppose to go every 2 months due to the rate of dysplasia. I haven't gone for 5 months. Yikes. Will be interesting.

• Posted

Hi Greythomas and Suskwatch

I have never heard of a cough being associated with Barretts as normally it causes no problems and you are unaware that you have it until it is seen by an endescopy. Uncontrolled acid reflux will cause a cough though and even some medications will cause it I.e one being Rampril which is a blood pressure medication. Maybe worth checking out what meds you are on and side effects etc.

Graythomas - would you be able to ask your consultant about the HALO treatment for Barretts which can eradicate it pretty much altogether. Pleas ask as you sound a good candidate for it. From what you have told us about your oesophagus it does sound as if it is the narrowing that is causing the cough.I am no expert on this at all so always willing to learn something new!

Would you be able to come back and tell us how you get on as I and I am sure others will be interested in what you have to say especially about HALO treatment.

Good luck and make sure you keep your 2 monthly appt as it is important for you.

Regards

Barnie

• Posted

Thank you guys for your imput Graythomas i so understand how this coughing affects you it almost makes me feel like it's a disability good luck with everything do let us know how you get on
  • Posted

Thank you both for your kind words and encouragement ... . I will ask about the HALO. I have a bad habit of not asking questions. I need to be more probative. :-)
  • Posted

Well ...

Uhg - what a week ending last week and weekend. I went in last Thurday morning to get the endoscopy done and things went - awry! During the procedure I stopped breathing. I recall faintly awakening as they were trying to revive me - but was in and out. I just remember an aweful pain in my chest trying to breath. I got rushed to the ICU/hospital and had 6-7 more episodes of stopping breathing. Finally they got me stablized.

They held me for a few days and still no clue as to why/what happened or caused it. I am not looking forward to the follow-up work at all. Nor to another endoscopy procedure. That was not fun at all.

• Posted

Hi Greythomas,

I feel for you,how terrible,did you have sedation? Wow they must have touched on something down there,I hope you remain settled,I will never have an endoscopy without sedation,especially after what you've been through!

Did they tell you what had caused it?

I wish you all the very best,what a nightmare!

Regards Malc

• Posted

Hi Greythomas

What a horrid experience for you and no wonder you dread going back. I hope they find some answers for you as you dont want that experience again.

When do you have to go back again for the endoscopy and do you have to go back to see why this happened to you?

Please keep us informed of how you go on and so sorry this has happened to you. Your confidence must have taken a knocking that is for sure.

Take care and good luck

Barnie

• Posted

I'm glad to see a discussion on Barrets I have had this and a hiatal hernia for 3 yrs and would love to get rid of the infliction I agree DGL help greatly but there is no relief for me for the food regurgitation even with small meal I re-eat almost every meal two to three times

Regards

• Posted

Hi Poweronman,

I agree but do try the slippery elm it tastes odd but I sweeten it with honey,and what it does apparently is to

reline the affected damaged areas,it is almost quite palatable (apparently used by Red Indians for many ailments,but specifically for stomach and throat complaints).

Obtained online at Amazon or any health shops,I even tried apple cider with honey,that seemed to help,really I bombarded my stomach with prescribed meds,natural meds,water,rennies and it took months to settle but it has now remained settled for four plus months,but never say never,this thing will not go away,it just hibernates,and I believe doctors should prescribe a tranquilliser as I'm sure the hiatus hernia is the trigger and once it is calmed it does not penetrate the gut as much,but doctor's of course usually won't do that,but it's worth a shot.

I ate small like you for months but felt like I'd had a four course meal with reflux,now I eat loads with little or no symptoms,try not to worry over it too much and fight it as hard as you can.

Regards Malc

• Posted

Hey Malcom and Barnie,

Thank you for the kind words. I was sedated during the procedure. All I remember was them trying to awaken me .. just heard thier faint voices .. and came to a little enough to realize I couldn't breath. I guess they transported me via ambulance to the hospital where I recall coming to again. There I had 6-7 more bad episodes wherein I couldn't breath. I stayed for 4 days before released.

I have had more episodes at home and do my best to work through them. It almost seems that the/a precursor to the episodes is regergitating my food. No matter what I eat or drink - I regurgitate it. And every time I reugurge - I get an episode. I am close to coming to the decision to just not eat. These episodes are really painful and debilitating.

My gastro Dr agreed that the next procedure we do will not be at the clinic, but at the hospital. I guess he did see enough during the procedure that went bad to say that my esophagus is severely constricted. He wanted to ablate it, but the procedure went south before he could. As well, he noticed area's of Barretts, but was unable to get any biopsies. They did a CT scan of my stomach and noticed a mass in my middle stomach. I have to wait til my next consult to find out what it is?!!

I am also seeing an ENT next week who will examine my vocal chords and larnyx, pharnyx, and surrounding areas via videostroboscopy. Hopefully it wont kick off another bad episode.

I really don't look forward to the next endoscopy at all. Which will probably be late next week. But at least it will be at the hospital. These episodes begin with a severe restriction in my lungs at the breastbone area, and I start wheezing very heavily trying to breath. They last like 5-6 minutes. And wholly moley it hurts like the dickens. After I have lots of plehm and fluid in my lungs. And like Suskwatch I cough all dang day long.

It's frustrating because I am very into sports and competing .. I tried to work out this morning at the gym and forget it ,.. at every exertion I had an episode. Stinks!!!!

Suskwatch - I will say I have had 4 previous endoscopies and they went very well. Sedated and no pain at all. My gastro Dr stated in 28 years he had never seen an episode like I had. So, please know you will have absolutely no problems I'm sure. It will be like clockwork and easy. Please - no worries my friend.

• Posted

Poweronman,

I feel your affliction. I too regurgitate pretty much everything! And also re-eat all of my meals. I try to eat small meals .. but to no avail. I find that drinking fluids with my meals makes it worse. In fact, drinking liquids period is very difficult. Certain foods seem easier to digest than liquid. Weird!?! I always feel dehydrated - always.

Again, strange but - breads, peanut butter, yogurt, honey, grits (homeny), eggs - are about the only foods I can eat without having too many problems. I cannot digest meat, chicken, hamburger, vegetables, fruit, anything spicy, any carbanation, coffee, juice, etc.

As far as liquids - water only. When I don't regurge it. And never with my meals.

• Posted

Dear Graythomas,

An absolute nightmare,I think you are very strong to get by man! You may have a gastric ulcer you know,duodenals don't usually get too big(i Think), if so they'll get shut of it. You'll soon know one way or the other,will you be sedated?,I should hope so.

Heaven knows youv'e been through enough already,but be strong,although you may not relish the prospect of what's to come,it has to be done and hopefully you will be rid of it.

You are obviously younger than me so you have a great chance of beating this,eating sensibly and keeping fit,your body will recover.

Just keep us in touch and we're with you 100%,I wish you all the very best and hope you get a satisfactoryoutcome.

Regards Malc

• Posted

Hello all

So GrayThomas do they have any idea why you responded this way to your endoscope? That is so scary what happened to you I've had several upper and lower GI series and I thank my lucky stars that I survives with no issues. I've never heard or read of anyone responding like this.

Malcolm I purchased just today at a local health food store some slippery elm lozenges made by Thather was the brand I figured I would just take one before meals and see how it goes how were you taking it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.