A New Pain after 1 Month Post-Op Ulnar Nerve Release Surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I had my surgery on the 4th of June and I have had absolutely no pain whatsoever. I have honestly had paper cuts that hurt worse than my surgery did. I hadn't even needed to take a pain pill once. But since three or four days ago,  started having a sort of tenderness around my scar, and it would only hurt if I kept my elbow bent or straight for "long" periods of time. I using that word loosely because sometimes my elbow will hurt if I keep it in a position for five minutes, sometimes it won’t; but then I can keep it bent or straight for an hour and it not bother me, sometimes I can’t. It’s very weird. But now it’s morphed into a constant pain. It’s not so bad that it makes me tear up or anything, but it has hampered what I was doing, or I completely avoided something altogether. 

A little note: I haven’t done anything to exert my arm, I haven’t lifted anything heavier than my cat (about ten pounds, but I use both arms for that). 

Nothing is swollen from what I can tell, nothing is bleeding, leaking, I don’t have a fever, the area isn’t red or hot. 

I kinda want to describe this pain as muscle deep, like when you pull a muscle and it’s sharp and you can feel it into your bones.

This was my first surgery, so I have no idea if this is something I need to call my doctor or surgeon about (neither my second post-op appt. or my family doctor appt. is for another five weeks). 

Has anyone had this happen before? Should I be concerned?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I would call your Dr since this is pain you haven't experienced right after the surgery but almost a month later.

• Posted

I had ulnar nerve transposition 12-2017. Mine was subluxating and never compressed.

I think as we heal scar tissue builds up below the surface and nerves(where skin was cut) are healing too.

All very annoying but what can ya do?

Sometimes my elbow aches and even my pinky now.

But you should be happy it went well. Your prob gonna recover over the next year. This surgery takes time 

• Posted

Thanks for asking this question, I had ulnar nerve retention surgery 3 weeks ago, had ulnar nerve severed, and the pain is worse now than it was the day after my op. Then, more than anything, it was itchy from the steristrips, I had a huge bruise on arm but it wasn't intensely painful, merely a bit achy and uncomfortable, but now it's got very sore indeed, I'm also experiencing the pain and pins and needles in my hand and fingers (pinkie and outer side of ring finger). I think the bone is bruised from the surgery as it isn't protected by fat or muscle, I'm sure you'll agree it is a bit disheartening to suddenly experience more pain unexpectedly. Here's hoping we both will heal well and feel much more comfortable in a few months' time. Good luck TaterPotato

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.