A New Sufferer

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello all,

I have just recently been told by my GP that the X-rays show i have an early wearing of the cervical bones in my neck (can't remember which ones).

Having typed this into google to find some info i discovered this site. I mentioned this to my GP on my next visit and he agreed that this is what i have. Although i haven't had an MRI to confirm, everything ties up.

I have had what can only be described as a burning, aching pain in my right shoulder and neck for about a year now. Previous to that i had a couple of years of niggling pain. Coupled with the pain is what feels like tendons or bone clicking against eachother when i turn my neck.

I am currently on Gabapentin after trying Amytriptyline, physiotherapy and osteopathy. I am still waiting for it to kick in and reduce the pain.

The GP has referred me to a pain clinic but i am still waiting for the date.

I have just advised work and my CTM has informed Occupational Health and HR. They are looking to relocate me into another role as my current role involves a lot of lifting. So for they have been good but it is early days.

Just thought i'd introduce myself and give a bit of background to my story. I hope i can find lots of information from more experienced people and pass that on to help others!

So, HI ALL!! :D

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hiya Acidomoduso, I've found a lot of useful information on this forum. It's reasurring at times to know that you aren't alone.
  • Posted

Thanks NTWA! I am early stages at the moment so i don't know what the future holds for me. I have read your \"My lovely Physiotherapist\" thread and am glad you are being taken seriously now. It is difficult to convey to people how much it affects your every day existence.

What i have discovered over the last couple of nights is that a cheap memory foam travel pillow bought from a service station on the M1 has eased my pain a little! Couple this with the Gabapentin and i actually have reduced my pain a little. Cool.

For anyone who wants to try it, search for the \"Restwell Mini Memory Foam Travel Pillow\". I actually picked mine up for £2.99 a couple of years ago!! It's a lot cheaper than orthopedic pillows and does the same job as it has the neck support. It's £15.99 on Amazon.

I tried the neck support pillows but found them too hard. I have been through so many pillows through the years that it has become a joke between me and my wife. I change pillows pretty much every three months!

Hope that helps someone here.

• Posted

Glad the cushion's helping. To be honest I bought a supposedly 'orthopaedic' pillow and it hasn't helped at all. I've just looked at the one you have on Amazon and shall be placing an order as it's not too expensive if it doesn't work but at least I can use it when travelling if all else fails (as long as I'm not driving at the time!) Have been contacted today from the 'blue badge team' at my town hall, I've got an assessment appointment next Thursday. I'm hoping they will let me have a badge for when I'm having a bad day, but I shall report back on that one.
  • Posted

Well, i hope the pillow helps you. It's certainly been a help to me. If it doesn't then you haven't wasted a whole load of money trying it out.

Having been on the Gabapentin for a while now i can say that my symptoms have eased but i am still not pain free. I have to be very careful how i move my neck.

Also, work have been very good - i have sent my consent off to Occupational Health to allow them to view my medical records. They are in the process of finding me a less physical job and have bust a gut to help me so far. Fingers crossed for your blue badge, buddy.

• Posted

well hello acidomoduso and ntwa,, welcome to our world. i have suffered with this for 19yrs now and at the time was told i was far too young to be suffering, but as you see throughout the forum there are lots staring young. i think it is hard for someone young to get there heads around somthing a lot older person suffers. my main pain area's are my neck which leave me with headaches, my ribs which literally takes my breath away, and my shoulders that affect my armas and hands. i have tried gabapentin but be warned you can gain a lot of weight i gained ovr 4 stones,which dosnt help our condition. this site has been a godsend to me when i first found out what i had,, now waiting to see if i have fibromyalgia. off to see my neurosurgeon yet again in a fortnight. good luck with your treatments,, xxxx chris
  • Posted

been for my interview today, and the guy I spoke to seems quite positive that I'll get my blue badge. I'll believe that when it drops onto my doorstep!

I've had a pretty rough day otherwise and a bad couple of nights. Due to the pains I get in my body - arms, legs, ankles, feet, knees etc (you'll all know the score) a few people I know have suggested that I could also have fibromyalgia. I'm not so sure tbh, but will be discussing the possibility with my GP next time I see him.

Just so fed up with the pain, the lack of energy and loss of mobility of my joints.

Just ordered the pillow you suggested, so watch this space . . .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.